Strange top tap flow problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy_b

Reaction score
I'm having problems with a Brewmaster barrel with a top tap and float system (think KingKeg TopTap). I don't get a continuous flow of beer out, it can be can best be described as beer/gas/beer/gas, (video https://youtu.be/jZmjyl8xDg0). The escaping gas means that by the time I've drawn a pint the pressure in the barrel is gone, and I have to recharge the barrel with the injector.

I have swapped out the standard drum tap for a Sparkler Tap. I've tried using the Ping Pong type float as well as the cap with the small plastic cylinder, with the same problematic result.

Any ideas what could be causing this strange problem? After many hours troubleshooting this I'm a bit stumped.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZmjyl8xDg0&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

The "ping-pong" float mechanism is bouncing up and down on the beer. The problem is, is that the tubing is too stiff and not allowing the float to sit on top of the beer. Go to any aquarist shop and get some sofetr, more flexible tubing.
HTH

I like the idea of the top taps in the respect that you are drawing cleer beer from the top, rather than murky from the bottom.
But i've also suffered the issue that your'e describing.
In fact I have one float, and no matter what I do with it, the tube always floats on the surface of the beer, this float I no longer use.

Its just one of many design faults on this type of keg. Dont get me wrong, Ive got 4 and they are very good, but you do have to understand how they work.

Design faults
1, piping is too stiff
2, the floating valve is not long enough. The outlet holes are too close to the "ping-pong" ball. The outer casing should be longer with the outlet holes lower down.

Drawing clear beer from the top doesnt come into the equasion. Your beer should be clear all the way down, before you start drinking it. I think theywere desiged with a top tap so you coud stand the barrel on any surface and just poor.

I've been tempted to just let the pipe sink,no float
Anyone do this

I've been tempted to just let the pipe sink,no float
Anyone do this

Having never used a keg, but couldn't you just sanitise a length of fishing nylon and suspend the hose somewhere an inch from the bottom. that way you not drawing gas or the stuff from the bottom?

might be to simplistic and as said I dont keg so could also be a non-started

RThese floats sometimes flip half over thus sucking beer and Co2 through the serving tap,had it many times and I put a little knick on the uppermost side of the tubing that attaches at the tap spigot end as an alignment mark
Open the keg re adjust float recap keg and gas up if you have canister and purge the O2 beer will be fine

Having never used a keg, but couldn't you just sanitise a length of fishing nylon and suspend the hose somewhere an inch from the bottom. that way you not drawing gas or the stuff from the bottom?

might be to simplistic and as said I dont keg so could also be a non-started

Maybe a good idea, anything to keep the outlet pipe below the surface, within the keg. Weighting it might be a good idea

This post has really got me thinking.
How about a rigid set up
ie...out of the back of the tap...90 degrees south, until the bottom of the keg, 90 degrees E/W and then 2 inches North (does this make any sense) to anyone. All components available from you local aquarist shop for a couple/few pounds

Latest posts

Back