Strawberry/lime turbo cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkIsland

Reaction score
I am planning a turbo cider with a hint of strawberry, never made one before, a bit of fun really.

10L apple juice
2 cups tea
2 punnets of strawberries from next door's patch
2 limes (juiced)
Young's cider yeast

I like my cider on the dry side and I'm not bothered about haze so I haven't included pectolase or artificial sweeteners.

My question is the best way to prepare the strawbs, I was planning to just juice and sieve them but I'm slightly concerned about introducing bugs and/or wild yeasts. Do they need to be boiled first? wash them in weak starsan? or just juice and throw them in the fermenter?

Any thoughts?

Boiling could change the flavour a little. If i'm using fresh or frozen fruit I just blitz with a hand blender in a bucket with a lid and add a litre or two of the apple juice, a crushed campden tab (I also add pectolase at this point as it helps breakdown the fruit) and leave overnight.

Thanks for the reply, is it worth sieving do you think? or just bung it in seeds, skins and all?

The more "bits" that go in to the FV the more liquid you end up leaving in he FV when siphoning off. With fresh fruit I'll tend to do a ferment for 5 or 6 days with everything in there and then rack of to another bucket or DJ's for the rest of the ferment. I use the cheap stainless steel filters you can get of ebay and they make sure all the large bits are left behind.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10pcs-St...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Got this in the fermenter tonight. Took led_zep's advice. The juice, blitzed fruit, tea, and a wee bit of nutrient went in. I couldn't get Young's yeast so got hold of some Harris cider yeast, no idea what it'll be like.

The taste seemed maybe a little too much lime and not quite enough strawberry, with a bit of luck that will change.

OG: 1.41 and tucked up in a brewfridge.
athumb..

Got this in the fermenter tonight. Took led_zep's advice. The juice, blitzed fruit, tea, and a wee bit of nutrient went in. I couldn't get Young's yeast so got hold of some Harris cider yeast, no idea what it'll be like.

The taste seemed maybe a little too much lime and not quite enough strawberry, with a bit of luck that will change.

OG: 1.41 and tucked up in a brewfridge.
athumb..
Fresh strawberry is mild in flavour and taste though you could add some Lowicz strawberry syrup or ice cream syrup like Askey making sure it's preservative free and add to the fermenter.

add some Lowicz strawberry syrup
I like the Lowicz raspberry, it makes a nice fruity cider. To the point that I doubt I'd buy berries anymore to make TC if the flavour is available as a syrup (no bits a very little sediment).

Fresh strawberry is mild in flavour and taste though you could add some Lowicz strawberry syrup or ice cream syrup like Askey making sure it's preservative free and add to the fermenter.

Too late now :laugh8:

I used four punnets in the end, even if there's a hint in the final brew I'll be happy. Still tasted good.

Too late now :laugh8:
No you can add it at any point, I use it to prime my TC when it's in the pressure barrel.
I use one bottle (400ml) of the raspberry in the initial (23l) ferment with apple juice and sugar then prime my PB with half a bottle. I make it about 9 - 10%

Whoa! That's pretty powerful high octane fuel there Led Zep. What is the taste like? I mean does it taste like a high alcohol thing? Intrigued?!
It's my go to if I need to get 23l in the PB and quite cheap.
I really like it but drink it in a large wine glass and not by the pint.

Mine is bubbling away furiously. I have to admit, 9-10% is too much for me, I reckon mine will be 5-6%...ish. More of an easy drinker :)

You could try frozen Strawberries, they are pick at the right time and in best condition before being froven. Defrost and mash.

You could try frozen Strawberries, they are pick at the right time and in best condition before being froven. Defrost and mash.

I was actually going to do exactly this but got the offer of a load of fresh for nothing, I'm a Scotsman, free wins every time.

Can't say no to free lol

Yep!

I also consider this brew a bit of fun really, an experiment, a learning experience, not something I'm going to lose sleep over if it goes **** up. If I end up with something drinkable I'll be happy.

...then go back to ales which is my more serious side of brewing.

Took a gravity reading today and a wee taste, I'm pleasantly surprised. I think it's probably done but I'll give it another week or so and if the gravity hasn't changed, I'll rack and bulk age for a bit.

The cider is dry, VERY dry, too dry for my tastes so I'm going to backsweeten. Tried a small sample with xylitol to get an idea of how much sweetness but to be frank, I hated it. I seem to be very sensitive to artificial sweeteners so I'm planning to sweeten/prime then pasteurise before it gets overcarbed/fermented dry again.

Latest posts

Back