Strong wheat beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strata

Reaction score
My base beer for the raspberry tasted so good by itself I thought I'd redo it with a few tweaks and more hops without the fruit -

2kg Wheat malt mashed at 50 ( 30 min), 60 ( 30min ),65 (45 mins ), 76 then run off.
1.5kg Pale spray malt
Fuggles 45g 90min
gypsum
2tsp sea salt
hallertau 10g 10mins, 10g steep
M27 belgian yeast
12l - OG 1075 - 1008 at casking

Just put this on into the cask at ten days, it's not bad at all but it's a little 'wine-ish' I'm starting to think maybe I should have gone straight to 65 but I'm hoping maturation will temper this to the dry continental style wheat beer I hope achieve. Either way I probably shouldn't drink more than a pint of it.

if you try again aim for 63c for 20 mins then raise to 71c for at least 45 mins . 20 mins(at 63c) is all that's needed to give it a dryness while raising it will give much better mouthfeel plus better head retention

Cheers for that, I shall indeed try it - might try a small addition of amber malt next time to round it off a little too.

Strata said:
Cheers for that, I shall indeed try it - might try a small addition of amber malt next time to round it off a little too.
i would recommend carahell , 300g is about right :thumb:

Maybe a different yeast would work. I am quite fond of some weizenbocks, very nice stuff. Strong, malty, banana-like. With that gravity you'd probably want to finish it around 1.014-1.020 for the style.

Yeh, I think the high attenuation could have been a mistake. Had a sneaky taste today as I released the pressure - already the carbonation has improved things and it's perfectly drinkable, just not up to the standard of my usual ales. The same yeast did fine in the version with the raspberries but the fruit acid has made the dryness more acceptable.
Too much hop in this one for a hasty change of plan but I shall drink my mistakes nonetheless...

Latest posts

Back