Stubborn residue in plastic FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plot44

plot44
Reaction score
Hi all. This is my first post as I've struggled to find an answer I understand. About to delve in to my first BIAB progressing from Extract Kits. However the last kit left a really think sticky & now dried out 'scum' around the rim. Can you advise best way to thoroughly clean. Should I invest in some Bruclean or Starsan or both?! Thanks chaps. Awesome forum and brilliant help.

Keen to know what you use and where you get it from :-)

If you soak the rim of the FV and then use Oxy with hot water and a soft cloth it should shift it. I wouldn't recommend using anything abrasive on the FV as the micro scratches it would leave could start harbouring nasties that'll affect future brews.

I have found that PBW is good for cleaning brewing crud, you will nee to soak it for a while.

Much better to clean it when it is fresh rather than let it dry out.

I would also invest in Starsan, although not a cleaner it is good at sanitising cleaned stuff before use.

Brilliant. Thanks for the advice and thanks to Chippy_Tea for bumping me to a new thread for the responses.
I've ordered Starsan HB 118m & Five Star PBW from hopandgrape.co.uk Looking forward to brewing a small batch Citra SMaSH. Starting out learning the craft with a 4 gallon stockpot and the basics.

Back