Stuck ferment?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Clark

Reaction score
In April (23rd) I started a batch of dandelion wine, OG 1090, i used Youngs GP yeast from a tub that was bought last year.

It went like a train for the first three weeks and since then slowed down and started clearing so today I racked it off only to find the SG is still 1060. So is it time to go and buy some more yeast (single shot packet) to resurect it or just wait and see, there was still some activity with a few bubbles rising through the wine but not what you'd expect for 1060.

If you're sure of your OG then a 30 point drop in that time is pretty pathetic.

Did you add nutrient and was it just yeast or their yeast compound? Did you add any citric acid, oranges or lemons?

I would think that calls for a starter bottle with a different yeast.

I was going to edit, it was Ritchies, not Youngs as I thought.

The recipe I used made up 20 litres;

8 pints Dandelion flowers
1tsp per gall Tartaric acid
1tsp per gal Yeast nutrient
1tsp per gal Tannin
1tsp per gal Pectolase
5.5kg Sugar (made up as syrup)
Water to 20lts

I am fairly certain of my OG, when I moved it from the bucket to DJs after a week it was down to 1086.

Time to go and get some more yeasties I think.

I'll be racking some cherry wine shortly, so I'll see what the same yeast has made of that.

I was thinking about that OG, 5.5kg of sugar into a total volume of 20lts works out at 275g per lt or 1105, I know the temperature wasn't 20oC when I checked the OG but hadn't checked to see what it actually was.

Even so it has only fallen by 45 points.

Alan Clark said:
when I moved it from the bucket to DJs after a week it was down to 1086.
Sorry Alan, but that should have rung alarm bells.

I confirm your sugar calculation around 1.102, so less than 20 points dropped in a week's bucket fermentation?

After a week's bucket fermentation I'm usually left thinking “'kin'ell guys, save some for later!”

It's time to go and get some more yeasties, the few live ones you've got need some help.

Report back on the cherry when you get chance.

A report on the Cherry, I know racking wine after midnight.

It has fermented out to 992 with yeast from the same tub.

For a juice wine it is going to need some aging but it is still nice enough to drink right now.

I've also checked the SG of my elderflower which is at bucket stage, started at 1077 (with hydrometer) and checked via sugar to water calc (5300g in 26lt) both come out at 203.something grams per litre. I started it on Wednesday afternoon (about 17:00) so it had had 4 days 8.5 hours and it has dropped to 1054. I am still wondering whether to put more sugar into it but I think I might not as it will make it less of a supping drink with food and more of falling over juice.

Alan Clark said:
A report on the Cherry .... It has fermented out to 992 with yeast from the same tub.
Damn it, that doesn't make sense, so what don't they like about the Dandelion?

Looking at CJJB's recipes, the one I've used calls for 2 lemons, 1 orange and a pound of raisins, while the lighter recipe just asks for 4 oranges, so your recipe looks deficient on acid. It's not totally devoid though, would that make quite such a massive difference?

I would still suggest a new starter, plus a dollop of citric.

Latest posts

Back