Stupid Instructions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martynhusky

Reaction score
I just got a Coopers Draught kit, and thought this time instead of listening to "My Old Man" and his old methods of Boiling this that and the rest of it, I would follow the exact instructions that came with the kit. But I am a little unsure :?
It says to ferment for 4 days!! and then decant into bottles or Keg... Is this right or has there been an error.....

Screw it if this kit doesn't work, I'll just sell all the gear I got, and go back to my local.

read the kit instructions carefully

Fermentation of a Coopers kit is 4 to 7 days but this is all down to the end of Fermentation and the only way to ascertain whether it has truly is finished is via Hydrometer readings once you get 2 days consecutive readings (i.e. it has Plateaued).

I wouldnt go boiling the malt personally!

good luck with the kit

:cheers:

I dont boil the malt, but I warm it on the stove with the sugar in to make sure it has dissolved. This is particularly important if you don't use brewing sugar. I have had issues with granulated sugar not dissolving if I just add it straight to the barrel.

Four days seems too short. Easy to get a yeast gush if it hasn't finished fermenting and you bottle it. A hydrometer for a few quid is one of the best investments you can make - i.e. from wilkinson.

Also, take it easy on the priming if you do bottle early, just incase it hasn't finished fermenting.

Good luck and let us know.

http://www.byo.com/stories/techniques/a ... -overboard

Latest posts

Back