Sugar additions.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldchimer

Reaction score
I've read about, various sugars, treacle, honey, golden syrup, lime, dme etc. but has anyone tried Jaggery?

I'm just about to experiment with an IPA kit & the addition of Jaggery, I would appreciate any advice if you've used it before, is it worth the effort, another words am I wasting my money or are we talking lush?

Thank in advance for any info.

You'll probably end up with an odd tasting brew that you won't want to finish, there is not much room in kits to mess around with, try the dry malt extract route instead.
Even in AG brewing, I have added raw cane sugar ... found that I would have been better off without the stuff.

I just had to look it up. Wikipedia says it's mixed with "insoluble matter such as wood ash, proteins, and bagasse fibres."
It might turn out nice, but I would dissolve or melt it down in some water and strain or filter it to get rid of the insoluble **** before adding it to your brew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure most folk on here had not even heard of Jaggery let alone used it in brewing. I certainly hadn't and had to Google it to find out what it was.
However if you do go ahead and use it, and it is directly imported from South Asia, I would suggest you boil it before you add it to your wort.

I've read about, various sugars, treacle, honey, golden syrup, lime, dme etc. but has anyone tried Jaggery?

I'm just about to experiment with an IPA kit & the addition of Jaggery, I would appreciate any advice if you've used it before, is it worth the effort, another words am I wasting my money or are we talking lush?

Thank in advance for any info.

Jaggery is i believe palm sugar. Ive not used it yet but its on my list.
Unlike many I find sugar additions really work for me. I probably add sugar in its different forms to 50% of my beers now.
I add them in the last five minutes of the boil although that's not a rule.
Go for it and see what works for you:thumb:

Thanks for the advice, I did plan to dissolve it first before adding to wort, although I hadn't thought about straining it but seems a sound piece of advice. I managed to buy 1.5kgs for £12, from an Indian supplier, he had never heard of anyone brewing with it but confirmed that it was good quality because the lighter in colour the better, what I bought looks like butter toffee. I'll let you know how it turns out, I suspect the brewing group I belong to will give me their critical opinion. 😊

I had to look it up, but Wikipedia defines it as ...

"Jaggery is made of the products of sugarcane and the date palm tree."​

Which to me sounds fine to add to a brew with the proviso that:

1. You know it is a pure block of Jaggery. (i.e. unadulterated with make-weight rubbish.)

2. You like the taste as it is. (Like I like the taste of Black Treacle spread on toast.)

3. You use is as a small adjunct on a small brew (like I would use Black Treacle on a brew if I decided to use it) to see what effect it has on the finished product.

I have had sugar-cane juice as a roadside drink in India and it too has a distinctive taste.

So my advice is to go for it and let us know the results! :thumb:

There has been a discussion about it on here before although I can't remember how it turned out. Maybe give the search function on the board a go and see if it throws anything up.

I've been back a few years and here are two Threads that mention jaggery ..

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=50281&highlight=jaggery

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38479&highlight=jaggery

... but neither of them give a conclusive answer as to whether or not it makes a good homebrew!

However, one report is that it is used in some Belgian beers. It looks to be a good idea so "Go for it!" springs to mind! :lol:

I'm looking forward to your report on results! :thumb:

Latest posts

Back