Sugar amount when shyphoning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ainsleyclark

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have recently ventured on my first home brew with a youngs brew buddy larger kit.
Currently the lager is at day 4, with little bubbles rising to the top.
I have my bottles and caps ready to go tommorow. However I'm a bit stumped with the sugar amount I need to add to the lager and how.
It says on the packet I need to add half a teaspoon of sugar per pint to each bottle. How exactly do I add this to the beer before I shyphon it in to the bottles? I have 25 litres at the minute. Do I need to mix sugar and water and add it to a seperate bucket?
I also wish to sweeten my beer and add tequila and like into some of the bottles.
Can I just add more sugar to the mix? Or will this over fermente it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for your time.

5 days isn't enough I'm afraid you need to completely ignore the instructions. Give at least two weeks in primary before worrying about priming and bottling, the easiest way when bottling is to have a spare fermenter into which you put a sugar syrup for priming then rack your beer on top of that before bottling

You can add sugar to each bottle but it is easier to use a separate bottling bucket and batch prime. It's easiest with a tap and little bottler. Are you sure your beer is ready to bottle as 4 days is very quick. You should use a hydrometer. If the reading is constant for 3 days you can bottle.

And if you want to sweeten it, you'll have to use non fermentable sweetner like splenda or the yeast will ferment it

Thanks for all the replies. Going to leave it a few more days then go for it.
So if I have 25 litres. How much sugar do i need to use? And how much water shall
I mix it with when melting it?
Thanks again

For lager I'd dissolve 120g of sugar in 200mL of boiling water and boil it for 15 minutes. Let it cool a bit and then add to the bottling bucket before syphoning the beer on top of it. If you like your lager extra fizzy then you could use 150g. You probably don't need to boil for 15 minutes so reduce this if you want. For an ale I would use 100g.

Back