Suggestions please - starting to put together Kegging kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocAnna

Queen's Knot Brewing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Morning all. Really looking for suggestions and a bit of help putting together what's needed for filling and serving from my first keg.

So some of you will already know that I'm accumulating brewing kit faster than is altogether healthy... let's think of it as the brewing 'R rate' .... which in our house means it's doubling every few weeks. This most recently has included picking up some reconditioned corny kegs and the snub nose fermenter (which yes, I am irrepressibly excited about 🤩). I also have a spunding valve which is an odd looking contraption which I've a vague idea how to use. With these nice shiny new things I now need to think about what connects with what, and enter the dark realm of piping diameters and John Guest fittings, which I'll be honest feels a bit intimidating and I'm getting a bit lost with reading up on.

Building a keezer/kegerator is not on the menu for the moment since I really don't think the OH would cope with yet another big piece of equipment or furniture, and the garage is quite cold enough at this time of year at least. It would be nice to future proof for this in the future though. The steps I'm thinking of at the moment are pressure fermenting first, then maybe a gas cylinder and perhaps a kegerator/keezer sometime in the next year lots of things depending. Could I call on the collective and considered wisdom of so many of you here to help with the following:

1. What size, type and length of pipe/tube do I need to connect between the fermenter and keg.
2. Any suggestions for what to attach to serve from the keg, and do I need to disconnect and sanitise it after each use or a period of time? Would I need a different tap for each keg?
3. Lastly, should I just face facts and get a CO2 cylinder and regulator, or can I keg and carbonate just with the pressure from the fermenter?

Thank you lots.

Anna

1 - to transfer you will need 3/8.
2- not sure as I use a kegerator. Perhaps a party tap.
3 - you will need pressure to serve. You will need a reg and co2. Whilst you are at it you may as well get a fridge. I accidentally knocked my fridge off the other day and one pouring a pint at garage temp it was rather foamy and not particularly that cold.

Cant comment on the pressure transfer specific aspects of this but some comments on the dispense aspects:

1. You will need some form of gas supply to dispense so IMHO you should just bite the bullet and get a pub size cylinder of CO2 as far more economical in the long run and of course you need a reg. This is where you will end up so might as well cut out everything in between.

2. For dispense can be as simple as a party tap set up - so for pouring from kegs not in my keezer I have a cheap (say a fiver ish) plastic party tap attached to very short length of 3/8" beer line which is then attached to 3/8 to 3/16 JG reducer - there is then a couple of metres of 3/16" line neatly coiled up and held secured with a cable tie which then goes back into another reducer and short piece of 3/8 which connects to the black beer out quick disconnect. A slightly more expensive tap solution would be a pluto gun although not been too impressed with my plastic one.

3. This set up can easily be switched between kegs as it is quick disconnect ie disconnect from one keg and push down on the beer out post of the next keg - matter of seconds.

4. I don't clean the line - just let the first 30ml or so of ale run out to clear out any stale / warm beer at the start of a new session. If I am cleaning a keg I will periodically run the starsan from that keg through all my taps/ lines.

I should have added that you will need co2 to transfer from subnose to keg
I was thinking I could do a closed loop transfer to syphon between snubnose to keg with jumper lines... I think anyway.

Also thinking of pressurising a keg during fermentation to provide serving pressure ... though I realise now that's not going to maintain constant pressure. I really am trying to avoid getting a cylinder as I think I've pushed my luck at the moment with the amount of equipment recently purchased.

Anna

you'll use the pressure in the keg long before the brew is all out. 100% will need a cylinder, even if it's a sodastream type deal you'll need something

Cant comment on the pressure transfer specific aspects of this but some comments on the dispense aspects:

1. You will need some form of gas supply to dispense so IMHO you should just bite the bullet and get a pub size cylinder of CO2 as far more economical in the long run and of course you need a reg. This is where you will end up so might as well cut out everything in between.

2. For dispense can be as simple as a party tap set up - so for pouring from kegs not in my keezer I have a cheap (say a fiver ish) plastic party tap attached to very short length of 3/8" beer line which is then attached to 3/8 to 3/16 JG reducer - there is then a couple of metres of 3/16" line neatly coiled up and held secured with a cable tie which then goes back into another reducer and short piece of 3/8 which connects to the black beer out quick disconnect. A slightly more expensive tap solution would be a pluto gun although not been too impressed with my plastic one.

3. This set up can easily be switched between kegs as it is quick disconnect ie disconnect from one keg and push down on the beer out post of the next keg - matter of seconds.

4. I don't clean the line - just let the first 30ml or so of ale run out to clear out any stale / warm beer at the start of a new session. If I am cleaning a keg I will periodically run the starsan from that keg through all my taps/ lines.
Anna,
Horners reply is as concise and effective as I have seen. (I think he may have been in my house as that really is my set up). I wish I had this advice a few years ago before I wasted a lot of time and money.
I use a variety of dispensing methods directly from my all rounders, but my weapon of choice is a good flow control inta-tap.
The best thing I ever done was invest in a co2 cylinder and set up with manifold. Using a larder fridge for cold crashing, carbonation and cold dispensing.
I closed transfer from my all rounders to either SS mini kegs (a completely different topic on its own) or corney kegs which later go back into the fridge where they get dispensed from.
Pressure fermenting in the All Rounder is superb (I very rarely collect yeast for reuse) and if you can manage to get a CO2 and a compatible larder fridge, you can bypass the many fermenting buckets, siphons, bottles, bottle cleaners, bottle cappers/caps etc which I spent quite a lot of money on when I started and no longer use.
But in reality, the bottom line is you will not move forward from bucket and bottle until you bite the bullet and get the CO2 kit.

Last edited:
Get in touch with brewkegtap, they'll see you right. But you will need gas. I looked at priming with sugar in the keg then dispensing with sodastream, but I figured that it wouldn't actually save me money and would be more faff.

Anna,
Horners reply is as concise and effective as I have seen. (I think he may have been in my house as that really is my set up). I wish I had this advice a few years ago before I wasted a lot of time and money.
I use a variety of dispensing methods directly from my all rounders, but my weapon of choice is a good flow control inta-tap.
The best thing I ever done was invest in a co2 cylinder and set up with manifold. Using a larder fridge for cold crashing, carbonation and cold dispensing.
I closed transfer from my all rounders to either SS mini kegs (a completely different topic on its own) or corney kegs which later go back into the fridge where they get dispensed from.
Pressure fermenting in the All Rounder is superb (I very rarely collect yeast for reuse) and if you can manage to get a CO2 and a compatible larder fridge, you can bypass the many fermenting buckets, siphons, bottles, bottle cleaners, bottle cappers/caps etc which I spent quite a lot of money on when I started and no longer use.
But in reality, the bottom line is you will not move forward from bucket and bottle until you bite the bullet and get the CO2 kit.
Thank you, I am getting the message that i'm going to have to face up to finding a CO2 cylinder and kit for this. It's all the fuss around tube diameters, reducers, lengths and leaks that I find most intimidating about all of this. I guess I know quite a bit about brewing science and I enjoy the practical part of the 'cooking' but the engineering bit is a not really my cup of tea. I did make my own fermentation chamber but wanted it to look smart and finished, probably more time on making it look nice than the functional element.

Anna

Get in touch with brewkegtap, they'll see you right. But you will need gas. I looked at priming with sugar in the keg then dispensing with sodastream, but I figured that it wouldn't actually save me money and would be more faff.
Thanks, I appreciate that suggestion as I was thinking I'd have to work out what I need myself, but really hoping someone would provide exact requirements and a list! I'll email brewkegtap and see what they suggest.

Anna

Thank you, I am getting the message that i'm going to have to face up to finding a CO2 cylinder and kit for this. It's all the fuss around tube diameters, reducers, lengths and leaks that I find most intimidating about all of this.
It’s nowhere near as much of an issue as is often made out. If you make sure everything is connected properly tipi shouldn’t have gas leaks. The line diameter is more about the beer line than it is about the gas line.

You’re form Stirling way IIRC? I know @Brew_DD2 got a good deal on a cylinder from somewhere in either Stirling or Falkirk.

Thanks, I appreciate that suggestion as I was thinking I'd have to work out what I need myself, but really hoping someone would provide exact requirements and a list! I'll email brewkegtap and see what they suggest.

Anna
That's what I did. Jonny (I think that is his name) was incredibly helpful and put everything I needed together. Having looked around I think that their prices are pretty keen too. In fact I ordered a new (reconditioned) keg and the bits to run two kegs off my one regulator yesterday from them

Drum roll... yes she's gone and purchased a CO2 cylinder! It's friggin heavy, 6 kg didn't look that big but I think I was confirming some gender stereotypes with struggling with it into the car. I thought I'd better do so before Tier 4 lockdown at 6pm today, since it seemed unlikely that I'd be able to pick one up again for quite a while. I don't have a regulator or any of the bits.... and I didn't ask at home before purchasing which will need a bit of explaining. Now feeling a bit guilty... a bit like buying new shoes and wondering how long till I own up 😇 .

Anna

Last edited:
Drum roll... yes she's gone and purchased a CO2 cylinder! It's friggin heavy, 6 kg didn't look that big but I think I was confirming some gstereotypes with struggling with it into the car.
6kg is the volume of the gas, the actual cylinder/gas combo will be more like 17 or 18kg and it’s an awkward shape. I’m a regular gym goer and find it quite difficult to get it into a comfortable position to carry.

Drum roll... yes she's gone and purchased a CO2 cylinder! It's friggin heavy, 6 kg didn't look that big but I think I was confirming some gender stereotypes with struggling with it into the car. I thought I'd better do so before Tier 4 lockdown at 6pm today, since it seemed unlikely that I'd be able to pick one up again for quite a while. I don't have a regulator or any of the bits.... and I didn't ask at home before purchasing which will need a bit of explaining. Now feeling a bit guilty... a bit like buying new shoes and wondering how long till I own up 😇 .

Anna

When explaining deduct the cost of the actual cylinder on the basis that its a refundable deposit and only talk about the price of the actual gas.

My biggest fear if I die before my wife is that she sells all my brewing gear for what I told her it cost.

Latest posts

Back