Summer beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andynewbrew

Reaction score
Has anyone got an AG recipe for nice light, crisp, beer for summer drinking? Not a lager as ive had no luck with lagering in the past lol.

Thanks
Andy

You could always do a steam lager using something like Mangrove Jacks California Lager yeast - it works at ale temperatures and doesn't need lagering.

One of the two reciepes I use for my house bitter is nice and light (when the appropriate yeast is used) It's pretty simple too

Based on 72% efficiency and 79% attenuation from the yeast
OG 1.038 FG 1.008, 30 IBU ABV% 3.9%

Pale malt/marris otter 3.5kg
Medium Crystal 175g
Terrified Wheat 200g
Hops

60min, 15min 5min 0min. Schedule. You can use whatever hops you like/have got. I used Aurora last time I did this. Tell me what hops you want to use and the AA% and I'll do the scedule for you

Yeast

Either US-05 or Notty/wilko ale for a nice high attenuation to make this beer light in body. You can use something with a lower attenuation like S-04 if you want, to make it a bit more full boddied

I'm on my phone so can't link for you but if you search for Fortunate Islands you'll see my thread about this brew. Perfect for a summer BBQ!

One of the two reciepes I use for my house bitter is nice and light (when the appropriate yeast is used) It's pretty simple too

Pale malt/marris otter 3.7kg
Medium Crystal 175g

Hops

60min, 15min 5min 0min. Schedule. You can use whatever hops you like/have got. I used Aurora last time I did this. Tell me what hops you want to use and the AA% and I'll do the scedule for you

Yeast

Either US-05 or Notty/wilko ale for a nice high attenuation to make this beer light in body. You can use something with a lower attenuation like S-04 if you want, to make it a bit more full boddied

Thanks for posting this i am definitely going to try it. :hat:

I just go

4.5 KG Pale
200g Flaked Maize

90 min Mash

50g Goldings
15g Fuggles

Two hour boil (bear in mind that is how I did it from my old GW Book and boil times are subject to discussion)

15g Goldings last 15 mins
Protofloc last 15 mins

decent ale yeast.

Hope that helps it comes out a bit like summer lightning.

A

For my summer brews I've gone a bit mad for pilsner based ales. Well I say 'mad', I've done two. A patersbier and a pale with lots of hops. You get the light lagers base of the Pilsner but the hoppiness of a nice ale.

Haven't tried either yet mind so might be vile.

As I've only got one brewbag but two FV's, I'm going to be doing Pseudo lagers with the other FV as I've recently discovered both MrsMQ and my self really like em and enjoyed the Dortmunder Export I recently made.

I'm going to be using US-05 for the yeast as its clean and has a temp tolerance of 25C. Although I've read it can give off peachy tasting esters when it gets too hot. But I'm going to try a little try trick I read about when using hot weather yeasts to control ester production - over pitching

Pale malt/marris otter 3.7kg
Medium Crystal 175g

Hops

Yeast

i have around 10 to 15 different types of hops so can manage just about anything really. just want something light, not to hoppy with a nice crisp taste left in your mouth after drinking.

So for the hop schedule

41g@60min
14g@15min
14g@5min
15g@0min

27.5 IBU. IBU/OG Ratio 0.7

If you wanted you could sub a high IBU hop for the bittering/60min if you don't have enough EKG or dont want to use that much up

Brilliant, Thanks for that bud. i'll give this a go this week sometime and get back to you with the result.

Back