Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CalverleyWinery said:
Ok thanks, it's was just with the reading being so dry I thought I may have to do something;) Cheers

Reading hygrometers can be tricky In fact I rarely use mine as I know 1100g of sugar total in the DJ left to ferment until its close to a standstill will give me 13%.

simmo, add the zest of half a lime and half a lemon. makes a big difference. Did you use champagne yeast. Never had a problem with the ferment :wha:

dave0w posted -

Chippy_tea i can report that Pomegranate + blueberry + W grape juice is very nice.

i used:

1L Pomegranate & blueberry
1L Pomegranate
1L WGJ (next time i will try red GJ)
1KG Sugar
5ML Glycerine
1TS Nutrient
1TS Dried active yeast
Added 500ml WGJ after fermenting to sweeten.

Chippy_Tea said:
IOMMick said:
Just wondering has anyone ever primed a WOW and made sparkling?

I haven't as i prefer flat wine, would it not be easier to not degas rather than prime?

No idea, I'm starting my first WOW tonight and was thinking of trying to prime a couple of bottles to see what they come out like when I get to that stage.

Worth a try, at least you will have the original to compare the sparkling wine to, let us know how you get on.

CalverleyWinery said:
I have three on the go already from Wednesday night following the general WoW receipe and these seem to be bubbling away nicely.

Apple and tropical (orange, pineapple, banana) 1.5l apple 500ml tropical and all pure juice

Red grape and apple 1l of each again pure juice

Red grape and prune 1l of each again pure juice

The red grape and prune has nearly cleared and gives a tawny port appearance in colour and definitely one that needs a little time to mature but definitely one to keep an eye on!

I made a wine with pure grape juice before and I really liked it. Is there anyway to replace the grape juice for another cheaper juice to keep the body? I tried Orange juice before but it was bitty even though it was smooth Orange juice. I tried with 3l grape juice and rest water and it was really thin. Needs to be cheaper than £1 per 1L me and my mates go through this like mad so I'm trying to get it cheaper while keeping the body.

If you use 1 litre of apple/raspberry and 1 litre of white grape juice in a DJ it turns out well, for a bucket just times it by 5.

Use a teaspoon of glycerine in each DJ for mouth feel.

Did you use Tannin?

No ive only been using tannin in my ciders. Never thought about using glycerine, got 2 tubs of the stuff sat in my spice rack.

This is the basic stuff you need to make a decent supermarket juice wine -

1 litre of 100% juice (my favourite at the moment is apple/raspberry)

1 litre of white grape juice

Add the sugar in the cartons together and make the total sugar in the DJ to 1100g, this will make the finished wine around 13%

Then add -

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of strong black tea. (i use 3 bags)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerene.

Here are a couple of videos on how to make the wine -

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpkXCowv2Ys

Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJQQdkS0JAw

Ok thank you, ive got some orange juice 100% a different brand from last time, i have raspberries left to go in the FV so just need the base wine.

I probably wont use citric as last time i did this it didn't taste like it needed it.

Just drinking one of my firsts, 1l red grape and l apple, 800g sugar and all usual extras, bottled after 15 days and easily as good as any £5 bottle of rose

CalverleyWinery said:
Just drinking one of my firsts, 1l red grape and l apple, 800g sugar and all usual extras, bottled after 15 days and easily as good as any £5 bottle of rose

Get another on, its illegal to have an empty DJ sitting doing nothing. :lol:

gl0ckage said:
Ok thank you, ive got some orange juice 100% a different brand from last time, i have raspberries left to go in the FV so just need the base wine.

I probably wont use citric as last time i did this it didn't taste like it needed it.

I didn't use citric in the original WOW but when i made the Pomegranate the recipe said use Citric acid or the juice of 1 lemon, i liked the taste so use it in everything.

Just visited my local supermarket hoping to buy all the ingredients for my first WOW, and was surprised to find they don't stock WGJ! Eager to continue I purchased RGJ instead, was that a good move or did i waste £2.29?

Just make sure you boil off the preservatives if they are present.

After 5 days of 'no start' I was forced to reboil all my brew it took a whole evening- glad to say day 3 the Blackcurrant wine is going well. Evaporated liquid was replaced with Welches purple grape juice - SG 1120 - I will dilute before it goes to the DJ's :thumb:

Back