Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RGJ will be fine, it may turn out strang tasting if you are mixing it with an orange based juice.

CalverleyWinery said:
I have three on the go already from Wednesday night following the general WoW receipe and these seem to be bubbling away nicely.

Apple and tropical (orange, pineapple, banana) 1.5l apple 500ml tropical and all pure juice

Red grape and apple 1l of each again pure juice

Red grape and prune 1l of each again pure juice

The apple and tropical is very good, bottled Friday and tasted acceptable but a couple of extra days in the bottle has made a big difference

Chippy_Tea said:
RGJ will be fine, it may turn out strang tasting if you are mixing it with an orange based juice.

Really enjoying making wine since starting a month ago, my excitement got the better of me and I used RGJ & Orange. Hopefully it's a strange taste I like!

Broadly speaking is RGJ in a WOW only really good for berries/summer fruits?

I have only used RGJ once when i could not get WGJ and i think i made a pomegranate or a raspberry with it, i would only use it with red juice based wine i don't know how it would work with orange based wine.

I started my WOW with RGJ and 2 x AJ last week - and it's smelling a big eggy this week - is that normal?

IOMMick said:
I started my WOW with RGJ and 2 x AJ last week - and it's smelling a big eggy this week - is that normal?

It's a yeast thing. Don't worry, as long as you followed proper sanitation techniques, it will turn out fine and won't retain any of the smell after fermentation.

Just started another WOW tonight.

Grabbed 2 x 1ltr Pomegranate from Iceland @ £1 each. They didn't have have any GJ, so I was forced to look in M&S and found these very posh looking bottles of pure non concentrated grape juice (180 grapes in each one apparently), which were a bit pricey at 3 for £5, but at least I get to re-use the bottles.

60QBA.jpg

So recipe is:

2 x 1ltr Pomegranate
1 x 750ml M&S fancy Grape Juice (it's a bit of a shame to mix it with the £1 cheap juice, but needs must)
1 x tsp Pectose
1 x tsp Yeast Nutrient
1 x tsp Glycerol
1 x 2 teabag brew
800g Sugar boiled in water
1/5th bottle of Wilkos White grape concentrate
1/3rd sachet of Wilkos wine yeast

Stuck in the DJ tonight, may grab a picture of it tomorrow but it's fermenting already. SG of 1120 :? either going to be a strong, or a sweet one.

CalverleyWinery said:
Anyone tried sainsburys purple fruit and vegetable juice? Mixture of apple, red grape, beetroot and cherry

I have never seen a thread about that, you could always be the first, it sounds interesting.

Chippy_Tea said:
CalverleyWinery said:
Anyone tried sainsburys purple fruit and vegetable juice? Mixture of apple, red grape, beetroot and cherry

I have never seen a thread about that, you could always be the first, it sounds interesting.

Already on the go!!

CalverleyWinery said:
Chippy_Tea said:
CalverleyWinery said:

Already on the go!!

:thumb:

This post is aimed at anyone who has made the original orange and WGJ WOW and was put off by it.

Knock up a DJ of this and it may just change your view of supermarket juice wines, it is currently my favourite by far and i have just racked another 18 bottles, it is drinkable straight from the DJ but does get better over the weeks, the weekend is looking good. :lol:

I litre of ASDA Apple/Raspberry @ 80 pence-

5000232872135_500000_IDShot_3.jpeg

I litre of ASDA White Grape Juice @ £1-

5052449211511_500000_IDShot_3.jpeg

800g Sugar.

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of strong black tea (3 bags).

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerene.

:thumb:

CalverleyWinery said:
I have three on the go already from Wednesday night following the general WoW receipe and these seem to be bubbling away nicely.

Apple and tropical (orange, pineapple, banana) 1.5l apple 500ml tropical and all pure juice

Follow up on my first attempts!

RGJ and apple, decent rose had much worse for £5

RGJ and prune, definitely different, couple of glasses last night and second glass went down well, but more time in the bottle required I think

Apple and tropical, which was 1.5L apple and 500ml of the tropical which was orange, pineapple and banana. My favourite, keeps getting better with age, nice texture, mouthy, bit like a Viognier but dryer, touch sweeter would be excellent with oriental food but a good drinker by its self as it is, has a bit of complexity which is a pleasant surprise

CalverleyWinery said:
CalverleyWinery said:

Follow up on my first attempts!

RGJ and apple, decent rose had much worse for £5

RGJ and prune, definitely different, couple of glasses last night and second glass went down well, but more time in the bottle required I think

Apple and tropical, which was 1.5L apple and 500ml of the tropical which was orange, pineapple and banana. My favourite, keeps getting better with age, nice texture, mouthy, bit like a Viognier but dryer, touch sweeter would be excellent with oriental food but a good drinker by its self as it is, has a bit of complexity which is a pleasant surprise

Sorry to do this twice in one night;) but 24 hours open in the bottle and the prune stuff is gooood

I wanted to give this a go and my DJ was looking all sad and empty, so..

I used 1L of 100% RGJ (175g total sugar) and 1.5L of AJ (145.8g total sugar) added a further 800g sugar boiled in about 400ml of water with the usual extras.

It's bubbling along though my house is usually freezing so it may take a little longer than it would in a warmer house. Worth the experiment either way.

Next time stop it at 995 you will lose a little ABV but it will be sweeter. :thumb:

Sorry to do this twice in one night;) but 24 hours open in the bottle and the prune stuff is gooood

No need to apologise the more feedback the better, i have found ageing for a a week can make a huge difference in how WOW tastes, i also store mine in plastic bottles (PET) as this speeds up the ageing process.

Back