Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And WOW it is indeed! What a lovely result for a cost next to nothing wine - miles better than some of the red/rose kits and half the price if not less. Nice and dry without being harsh, lovely aftertaste of raspberries and thoroughly enjoyed with some cold roast spuds late on Christmas day (sort of 11pm for a supper snack!!). Will be one on the 'to do again' list for certain.

An update on my 2 x 1lL of welch's purple grape juice drink and 1L of apple n mango wow.

Well finally xmas day arrived and at just after 9am we cracked the first bottle, and its absolutely feckin lovely
t.gif
rolleye0012.gif
t.gif

got it spot on with back sweetening for everyone that tried it loved it, after a couple of bottles the family were debating how much a bottle I could sell it for and the step sons girlfriend who likes her rose, got her own rose out and then said mine was far better than her usual favourite and put it back in the fridge!

I'm well chuffed and definitely making another of this variation as soon as I can get to the shops and score some more juice!

EDIT: Scored some more juice yesterday but they didn't have purple grape drink so went for 1L of welch's purple grape juice, and 1L apple peach, mango and passion fruit and whilst I was at it I started a RGJ and apple one too.

WGJ is difficult to find and I haven't heard of anyone trying this combination, you could be the first to make it.

Any one tried white grape juice and lots off honey
I fancied a mead type wow

Now that does sound interesting :) Might be a very nice combination.
I made my first mead this year. Might have a look in Asda for that WGJ you mentioned in your later post.
Do let us know how it goes if you try the meady wine out.

Ive made a few of these red grape and blueberry rose's and i have to say they went down rather well with the other half and my mam really enjoys it. I used Asda juice to make them (the stuff in the bottle that are on for 3 for £3 at the moment. I'm sure someone else will have made one but heres my way of making it

1ltr red grape
1ltr blueberry juice
700g sugar
1 tspn pectolase
1 tspn citric
1 cup of strong tea (yorkshire tea of course)
wilkos wine yeast

Topped up with cooled boiled water to roughly 4ltrs and the S.G came in at 1.080

Ive just kicked off a batch of this as above but as the juice is on 3 for £3 i got a bottle of raspberry grape and pommegranite juice and put this in aswell. Be interesting to see how this turns out. Im expecting it to be lighter as the extra juice has white grape in it.

is it ok to use juice with bits in it? it says on the bottle it's grapefruit juice made from concentrate with juicy bits (100%)
thanks!

You may find it clears fine with a decent fining, if it doesn't then you are looking at plan B or drink it cloudy something I have done many tines.

Yeah, didn't work as well as expected.
I would advise making a wg and apple with normal sugar and sweeten with honey. It offers a better contrast between the sweet and dry and the honey flavour comes through without being too sickly.

(Edit)
Sorry...
Using phone instead of lap top.
This was meant to quote the query about Mead.

You may find it clears fine with a decent fining, if it doesn't then you are looking at plan B or drink it cloudy something I have done many tines.
if drinking it cloudy wont make me ill im fine with it lol is adding pectolase a must? ive read someones blog saying its ok to drink wine thats got pectin haze because it only affects the wine visually? thanks :)

My wines have been cloudy in the past because i was trying to use a standard wilko racking cane and kept disturbing the sediment, once i added a piece of tube to the syphon tap and bought a bucket clip (also works on a DJ) my cloudy wine days were over.

I have always used pectolace as i don't want cloudy wine, how would you know its a pectin haze and not just a stubborn wine that is not clearing fully?

As per Mr Tea, I've drunk cloudy wine in the past, I gave up trying to clear a damson one. I think its just a vision thing, if you can see its cloudy then your subconscious says maybe its not right, but if you did a blind taste test you might think it tastes lovely, well provided its only hazy and not just an orrible wine.

My wines have been cloudy in the past because i was trying to use a standard wilko racking cane and kept disturbing the sediment, once i added a piece of tube to the syphon tap and bought a bucket clip (also works on a DJ) my cloudy wine days were over.

I have always used pectolace as i don't want cloudy wine, how would you know its a pectin haze and not just a stubborn wine that is not clearing fully?

As per Mr Tea, I've drunk cloudy wine in the past, I gave up trying to clear a damson one. I think its just a vision thing, if you can see its cloudy then your subconscious says maybe its not right, but if you did a blind taste test you might think it tastes lovely, well provided its only hazy and not just an orrible wine.
im new to this sorry, the reason i asked is because i dont have any pectolase and was wondering if its ok to make a batch without it?

It is best added from the start to deal with pectin (and help to release the juice in country wines) but I have also added it to finished wine to help clear pectin haze.

I think bits in the juice will make more sediment rather than clouding it.

Like chippy says, there can be a number of reasons for cloudy wine and not all are drinkable. Using pectolase to avoid one reason will make you think twice about chugging it. May save you a belly ache.

Some of the more expensive wine kits use Bentonite to help clear them, this is added before fermentation, after several rackings the wine is fined with kwik clear type finings to finish it of (kieselsol and chitosan).

Back