Sweet Orange Peel… how much to use?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howyoubrewin

Regular.
Reaction score
Looking for some advice. I fancy brewing up a summer IPA with some really fresh flavours. I plan to use Azzaca and Citra hops and would like to use orange peel. I’ve read a few posts on various places and some are saying to use 1-1.5 ounce in the boil and others are saying to use it in secondary. I am thinking about a combination of both but I don’t want to overpower the beer with orange flavour. Anyone used sweet orange peel before? What’s your experience with it, how did you use it and do you think splitting it between boil and secondary will work? Thanks folks.

I've used it in a saison in the whirlpool. Didn't come through particularly strongly but I zested it just before pitching it so might be better using dried orange peel to intensify the flavours. Also had other flavours in there so probably got the amounts incorrect. Not sure of the weight but zested the peel of about 3 small to medium oranges.

If it's any use as a reference point, today I brewed a Belgian Wit and put in 25g of bitter orange peel (dried) for the last 10min of the boil ...
I put it in the spider along with the hops and took it out about 10min after flameout

Not that I could find. I was doing a clone of Brewdog Electric India from DIY Dog which was a bit light on details and specifics so I guessed. Other Saison recipes I googled seemed to suggest a mix of dried bitter and sweet orange peel and amounts varied, but I guess it depends on if you are using other ingredients in there too and the balance between them. I was using a few other pretty strong ingredients in there so will need to amp up the orange next time.

I'd say that using fresh zest and only about three small oranges worth was not enough.

Sorry I cant be more specific. I am going to brew again soon as its a great alternative to a lager and this time will get the dried peel.

Thanks for the replies and the advice. I’m looking forward to playing around with this brew and seeing how it comes out. My hopes are for a big hop hit with the sweet orange right there up front.

Depending on the source of your orange.

Bitter orange fresh is best in the fv. But that died bean you can only make beer is marmalade season.

Dried is not difficult, but boiling will also get darker flavours from the pith. Fv will be brighter.

A quality orange flavour might be better.

Peeling oranges finely, with an ez peeler (side to side) and then making a syrup with the peelings, extracts the flavour really well. Add to FV, or use with a syringe as priming sugar.

I've used candied orange peel before. I think i used about the peel of one orange for every 5 litres, but can't remember. Based it off this Clawhammer video.

Weirdly this is my next brew. I've made it before as an all extract, trying it all grain for the first time. Last time it turned out real nice. I sent some out for the Xmas bottle swap a few years ago.

Last edited:
Made a saison the other day with 30g each of sweet and bitter orange peel (both dried) in a 20L batch. It's pretty subtle though, I might up it next time.

Have also made a marmalade beer using the Mamade home made marmalade can and just adding it to the boil. That worked well.

I've used candied orange peel before. I think i used about the peel of one orange for every 5 litres, but can't remember. Based it off this Clawhammer video.

Weirdly this is my next brew. I've made it before as an all extract, trying it all grain for the first time. Last time it turned out real nice. I sent some out for the Xmas bottle swap a few years ago.

I am going out on a limb here, but I think they over processed that and will have lost the very best of the orange. Peel, syrup, add everything.

Back