Swing top bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggeoff

Reaction score
Hi

I have some swing top bottles and wonder whether they are safe to add primed beer to. At present I have two Brewmaster kegs and try to make a new brew before the old one is drunk :) I am planning to sell one keg and put some of the matured beer in bottles from the keg. The idea being to have beer whilst the new brew is maturing without needing another keg. The swing top bottles appear to accommodate some pressure but I wonder whether they do.

Hi there,
Yes, swing tops are perfectly all right for brewing in fact they are the Rolls Royce of bottles in my view. I bottled this am and filled 20 of them with an IPA and 12 with Ginger Beer. The rest of the brews went into PB's.

I even found a good source of replacement washers for them in the Home brew shop in Glasgow here

asda sell 3 botles of glolsh for a fiver.. cheaper than buying empty bottles from tlhbs!!
tho you can never beat the ol corona pop bottles :) all mine finally died and now the crates are useless :(

dennisdk2000 said:
I just wish they were readily available in smaller sizes, such as 250ml, 275ml or 330ml for those stronger brews...

Dennis

I have a fair few Flensburger bottles from German friends :)
It is pretty expensive here though if you find it.

product_flensburger_pilsner.png

Wilko do a couple of different sizes.. But they are sold as singles and are with the jam making stuff, bit pricey.

My local wilko's sell 6 clear 500 ml flip top bottles for £8.00

Paying £1.33 for an empty bottle just seems plain wrong to me :nono:

I bought quite a few Austrian dark lagers from Aldi last year at £1.75 in brown 500ml swingtops, but that was a short term stock item, could have been pre-Christmas, so they may have them back in again this year and the beer was pretty good too.

Edit: Yes, it was last November / December - here they are, and I hate to have to say it but it's already August, the nights are getting longer, blackberries won't be far away now, then damsons and elderberries, barbecues and garden furniture will be cleared out soon and all the Christmas tat will be back in the shops.

Tankboi said:
Wilko do a couple of different sizes.. But they are sold as singles and are with the jam making stuff, bit pricey.

be careful of the thin glass swing top bottles

they are not designed for the pressure of carbonated liquids

use the bottles from the jam section and you will have glass fragment bombs

they are fine for un-fermented cordials tho :thumb:

champagne bottles 750ml should be over 800g
my champagne bottles are 850g but I have seen 760g and some over 900g
the 330ml bottle from world of bottles are 345g

I work on the basis that if it is over 1g glass per ml
then I guess you have a bottle suitable for carbonated liquid

if the bottle has been chiped or damaged
then put it in recycling !

Just started racking my surplus beer into 1L swing tops, as I only have a few mini kegs at the moment. I must say, they condition the beer beautifully and hold a lot of pressure.

And as I usually rack my beer to casks I had never really experienced the immense satisfaction one gets upon opening a swing top full of well conditioned beer.

*POP!*

*mist*

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I think I shall be investing in some more.

:grin:

Yeah they do weigh a bit.

Nice to give a way as gifts though. I usually have about 3 of them in surplus after I rack, I give 1 a week to my girls granddad and the other 2 usually go to other friends and family.

I got a load from aldi last Christmas they had beer call Das Schwarze there was a golden beer and dark almost porter type both lovely drinks worth keeping your eye out for them the bottles have been used for home brew and been fine, i will be stocking up again next time there in stock.

Thanks guys! As a new member I didn't have notify me of reply set, so didn't realise that so many users had replied. Please accept my apologies. :oops: very interesting lot of replies. :cheers:

Geoff

Back