Tainted Pressure Barrel help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfandy2005

Reaction score
After buying some second hand plastic pressure barrels that needed a good clean, I decided to use Vanish Oxy Action to thoroughly clean/bleach them. The good news is that the barrels look spotlessly clean now, the bad bad news is that I cannot get rid of the smell of Vanish and it has tainted the beer I have put in the barrels so badly as to render it utterly undrinkable. I have rinsed the barrels very thoroughly and left them for some time, but the laundry smell is still overpowering. Can I do anything to rescue these barrels, or are they a dead loss now? Not keen to waste any more beer, obviously, but equally not keen to throw away otherwise serviceable barrels. Has anyone got any experience of overcoming this problem? Thanks in advance.

Add a generous amount of thin bleach. fill to just over 1/2 full put the lid on and leave it to stand for 3 or 4 days then invert it for the same amount of time.
Rinse well then rinse again with warm water containing a crushed Camden tablet. Rinse a bit more and it's smell free.

Aamcle

I've used it to remove odour from pressure barrel add 3 tablespoons to 3 lires hot water
Leave to soak overnight and rinse well

Latest posts

Back