Tannin v tea bags

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update.

I tried mixing the powdered tannin in water, it clumped so i thought sod it i will throw it in the DJ as someone suggested above, i racked last night and there was the same brown stuff in the bottom of the DJ, i will taste the wine and if it is the same as usual or better i will carry on with the powder, if its lacking a bit of flavour its back to the tea bags for me. :thumb:

Moley's tip in his WOW how to is pretty useful...

mix the tannin powder with the dry sugar before adding to your juice. It prevents clumping and it dissolves more readily.

My first three WOW's have had too much tannin in, the taste was really present and upleasent in the final result. On teaspoon as per the recipe I followed. I've bottled two of them but thrown the third, I do hope they melow over time and have chucked them into the corner of the garage to forget about till the summer.

I've tried tea this weekend time and I will be doing one more next week with 1/2 a spoon of tannin in but my experience so far has been pretty poor with wow recipes :(

Could i ask why you think its the tannin that is the problem, i have made wow type wines of many different types starting in the early days with a one tea bag brew i then started to use two bags and now use 3 tea bags as was advised in the forum, the difference between one and three is noticeable but i think if i used 5 it would not make it undrinkable.

Can you list the ingredients you used in full?

I suppose because it tastes exactly like the tannin smells if that makes sense, its just about drinkable but not really enjoyable so such a disappointment after all the kits i've done.

I followed the exact WOW recipe but used the apple variant as it sounded like more people liked that. The only thing that I'm skipping is the Glycerine as my other half is a veterinarian and it seems that it only adds "mouth feel", I have no idea what could be!

My idea was to start doing WOW variants and then move into country wine next but this part of the plan isn't going so well. Lucky the ingredents are cheep!

If you have any ideas on what the taste could be if its not tannin then i'm more than pleased to be told. Could I be getting some other part of the process wrong, maybe the taste could be oxidisation (I am using campdon etc), or perhaps leaving it too long at the brewing stage, or clearing.. I just don't know!

If you have any ideas on what the taste could be if its not tannin then i'm more than pleased to be told. Could I be getting some other part of the process wrong, maybe the taste could be oxidisation (I am using campdon etc), or perhaps leaving it too long at the brewing stage, or clearing.. I just don't know!

Its difficult to say what it could be, like i said earlier i have used weak tea (1 bag) to strong (4 bag) and decided 3 was the best for my taste, it may be the tannin you don't like so maybe trying a 2 tea bag brew as a test then go to 3 or 1 if it is too strong or weak.

I assume you used a litre of apple juice and one of grape juice, did the apple juice have anything else in it?

I mainly use apple and raspberry and also apple and mango these always turn out well, cranberry and pomegranate are two that also work well and have many good comments.

Asda Princes 100% Pure Apple & Raspberry Juice from Concentrate
1l (£1.58)
Rollback to 80p

£0.80(8.0p per 100ml)
5000232872135_500000_IDShot_3.jpeg

Well I did a three teabag one yesterday but it was just a random mix, mango, apple and white grape juice. Just really a "what the hell" go at it.

I will do a more controlled one next week with 100% apple (prob 2 x 1ltr) and a white grape juice, 800 suger, 1 pec, 1 nutr, 2 bag tea. If these don't work I'll come back here again!

I would go with 1 litre of apple (and something else) and 1 of WGJ, that way you know what a standard wow tastes like then you can alter it next time, you can always add a little juice to strengthen it if it is weak, if its too strong (as i think it will be) there is not a lot you can do to save it.

Chippy_Tea said:
I would go with 1 litre of apple (and something else) and 1 of WGJ, that way you know what a standard wow tastes like then you can alter it next time, you can always add a little juice to strengthen it if it is weak, if its too strong (as i think it will be) there is not a lot you can do to save it.
I will do exactly that next weekend :cheers:

Latest posts

Back