Taprite CO2 regulator adapter and inlet pressure

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alsacebrew

Reaction score
Hello,
I’ve had enough of leaking plastic pressure barrels (I’ve been using them for over 20 years) and have decided to use corny kegs from now on and build myself a keezer. I’ve ordered a couple of kegs from England (I live in France), together with the necessary fittings etc. I decided to buy a Taprite dual product regulator (purely because it had lots of good reviews) and it has arrived from the US today. I’ve also obtained a couple of 5-kilo CO2 bottles from a friend who owns a bar here in France. All was going well until I realised that the Taprite regulator has a CGA320 threaded nut and won’t fit the French gas bottle. I’ve been searching the internet for an adapter but no luck so far. Does anybody know where I can get one? Or, do you think I can just replace the CGA320 nut on the adapter with a European one?
My second question is, it says on the gas bottles that the internal pressure is 250 bars (which is over 3600 psi). However, apparently the maximum inlet pressure for my regulator is apparently 2000 psi. Do you think I can use the Taprite regulator for these gas bottles? I have no previous experience with CO2 bottles or regulators and perhaps this question sounds a bit stupid but I would be very grateful for any information . Thanks!

I would ask the guy who owns the bar where he would get a regulator from, I would avoid trying to change the parts on anything that uses that kind of pressure.

CGA320, I think it's American? UK (and Europe?) use W21.8-14 (abbreviated designation). France use - gawd knows what, maybe same as UK? You can get adapters for CGA320 to W21.8-14 https://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/cga320-paintball-co2-adapter-for-co2-regulators-p176.html. CO2 cylinder threads are a can of worms, take "W21.8-14": "W" = imperial Whitworth, "21.8" = metric millimetres, "14" = imperial threads-per-inch.

The pressure in a CO2 cylinder does not (cannot) exceed 1000 psi in normal conditions (e.g. not on a fire!). CO2 is liquid in the cylinder at about 850-950 psi and the pressure stays at this until empty of liquid (at which point the pressure falls to zero pretty quick).

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/co2-management-primer.67424/

Just to be on the safe side …

Ask the guy you got the cylinders off that they do contain just CO2. There is the chance he's sold you "mixed gas" or "beer gas" which contains Nitrogen. This isn't supplied as a liquid but at astronomic pressure (compressed gas) because it doesn't conveniently liquify like CO2 (and will have quite different threads on the cylinder - in the UK they are female threads, not male - hence such gas cylinders need a different regulator too).

Just as an aside: You can get liquid Nitrogen! And therefore liquid "mixed gas" is a possibility? But the necessary cryogenic supporting systems should put off anyone thinking about it.

Thank you simon12 and peebee for your replies, very much appreciated! I’ve double checked and can confirm that the bottles definitely contain only CO2. But, just to be on the safe side, I’ve asked my friend to get me a regulator that he uses in his bar.
Your message concerning the issue of maximum pressure in a CO2 bottle was very useful and reassuring peebee by the way, and will keep my taprite regulator in case I manage to find a CO2 bottle one day that comes with a CGA320 fitting.
Thanks agand and cheers!

Back