Tasting my first brew and sharing a storage idea...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norlettdriver

Reaction score
Well it was a tough week at work so I decided to crack open a bottle of my first brew - Muntons Stout - it's still a bit young, only two weeks in the bottle but I justified it to myself as a way of learning how maturity will affect the taste!

Tasted pretty good, but I'll be staggering out the rest over the coming weeks.

After leaving the bottles (2L PET) in a warm cupboard after bottling for a week I was "encouraged" by my fiance to find another place to store them, the loft is pretty cool but given the amount of dirt that emanates from there whenever you look at the hatch it was not going to be a popular choice! So (and here I think I've been pretty ingeneous - maybe not!) I whipped off the kick boards under the kitchen cupboards and put in a thermometer over night - 12-15C! So that's where my future brews will be getting laid up!

Hope this idea will prove useful to someone else out there!

Cheers - :cheers:

Never heard of storing under the cupboards but if it works fair play !!
Those muntons kits are pretty damn good done quite a few myself :thumb:
Hope you enjoy ypu'll soon be drawn to the dark side :D

Nice idea!
Beware of sediment though... if you are lying the bottles down, then pouring off without disturbing it could be a problem. :cheers:

norlettdriver said:
I whipped off the kick boards under the kitchen cupboards and put in a thermometer over night - 12-15C! So that's where my future brews will be getting laid up!

Hope this idea will prove useful to someone else out there!

Cheers - :cheers:

:hmm: Could be handy for storing the bottles of wine that I have nearly spilling out of the cupboard

As I have concrete floor on the kitchen extension, I found it a perfect place and temperature to store wines. Never thought about passing that tip on.

Tony said:
Nice idea!
Beware of sediment though... if you are lying the bottles down, then pouring off without disturbing it could be a problem. :cheers:

Further to this, storing beer in pet bottles lying down "as in wine bottle storage" is fine, but crown corked bottles should not be stored for long periods lying down.

UP

I was concerned about sediment too, but as I put my sample beer in the fridge overnight before testing it didn't seem to be much of a problem - the yeast seemed stuck solid to the bottle and I only got a small amount in the last glass I poured :thumb:

I threw all of my wifes clothes and handbags into black bin liners then tossed them out of the bedroom window onto the street, now i have more room for beer :thumb:

In the interest of forum harmony, this post has been edited by THBF admin team and will not be discussed further.

:cheers: CS

Latest posts

Back