Tc brewday tomorrow - opinions needed please!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abeyptfc

Landlord.
Reaction score
hi troops, went on and bought quite a few litres of juice for tesco for a few batches of turbo cider, I got:
4 litres apple juice
3 litres white grape juice
" " red grape juice
1 litre pineapple juice
also I read somewhere about folk putting rhubabrb in their brews so I bought a pack of that, maybe about 6 stalks.

I've got 3 x 5Ltr PET bottles, was thinking of 2 x 4ltr brews and a 3ltr, not sure what to mix with what to be honest, or whther to bung it all in together!
any suggestions?
I've also heard people saying to add 'tannin', can someone explain exactly what that is and what its purpose is?
cheers
mark
(p.s i wish i had a few gallons of it the now after watchin that scotland game tnite, absolute torcher man!)

abeyptfc said:
I've also heard people saying to add 'tannin', can someone explain exactly what that is and what its purpose is?
The Apple Juice you buy from Supermarkets is intended for drinking "as is" and not for TC.
If you don't add a bit of Tannin the resulting Cider is a bit bland.
I use the Tea from 3 teabags per 24 litres.
You can also buy dried Grape tannin, not sure what the doseage is, probably 1 tsp per 4.5 ltrs.
When using Tannin/Tea you will need to let it mature for about a couple of months.
Maturing/Conditioning for this long you will need to add 1 Campden tablet per 4.5 ltrs.

i have been told to put a pint of strong tea in with the brew to add tannin. Never tried it myself. I was going to ask peoples opinion on this very subject. To tea or not to tea?

i done a 15ltr batch of tc with tesco apple juice about 6weeks ago with no tannin and it turned out ok :thumb:

I (and She) like cider with 'bite', therefore I always add grape tannin (liquid) at the rate suggested for white wines . . . Although I'm looking at our Bramley tree at the moment and thinking . . . that I could freeze and press all the excess and use that in the next batch. . . . I'm also considering adding some Malic acid as well, just to enhance that 'bite''

Latest posts

Back