Tea wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Druss

Mead Magician
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm going to brew a tea wine based on one of the many recipes I've found around the net. I'm not too sure about what tea is best, I've heard lots of people use several teas but I would like to use Earl Grey, Lady Grey and Sunshine Grey (all Twinings). I've never made tea wine before (or even heard of it before a couple of days ago) so if anyone has any tips or a tried and tested recipe for a novice brewer, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

I used Earl Grey, worked OK but just occasionally you could tell it was wine-made-from-tea rather than pleasantly-flavoured-wine

Deano Gledson said:
Hi everyone, I'm going to brew a tea wine based on one of the many recipes I've found around the net. I'm not too sure about what tea is best, I've heard lots of people use several teas but I would like to use Earl Grey, Lady Grey and Sunshine Grey (all Twinings). I've never made tea wine before (or even heard of it before a couple of days ago) so if anyone has any tips or a tried and tested recipe for a novice brewer, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Ive brewed a peppermint tea wine and it was lovly.
it was made with 40bags of tetley's peppermint tea
with 3kg of cane sugar,yeast,yeast nutrient,tannin's,and citrus acid

i boiled the tea in a stockpot for 20-min's added the sugar and stirred until it had dissolve.
then i let it cool down and removed the tea bag's and added to my fv and waited a day for it to come to room temp then pitched the yeast,nutrient,tannin's and citrus acid (i use one leveled ts of the yeast nutrient,tannis and citrus acid

hope this helps

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

That sounds like a good recipe, do I activate the yeast first? Do I need to check temperatures and so on before adding things? My philosophy has always been 'just chuck stuff together and see if it works' (sometimes that's worked, sometimes not) but I'm doing things as 'properly' as I can this time round and I'm somewhat of a newbie.

I've got a morrison's red label tea going, it tasted fine when I racked it, sadly it's still clearing so I can't give you a 100% definite

Deano Gledson said:
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

That sounds like a good recipe, do I activate the yeast first? Do I need to check temperatures and so on before adding things? My philosophy has always been 'just chuck stuff together and see if it works' (sometimes that's worked, sometimes not) but I'm doing things as 'properly' as I can this time round and I'm somewhat of a newbie.

tbh i always rehydrate the yeast i did not take the temperature when i did this at the time i just left it to get to room temperature.

Latest posts

Back