Temp control fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liamf89

Reaction score
Hi i have a small chest freezer I use as fermentation chamber.. It can only fit one Brew in at a time I brewed a saison last weekend and has been fermenting away lovely at 24°c.. Just wondering how long is the temperature control really important for as the yeasties have basically done most the work and are just cleaning it up now. I'm wondering would it matter if I moved the saison into house for another week before putting it in secondary with fruit so I free up the fermentation chamber for another beer to go in it this weekend as I'm trying to get as many kegs filled ready for Christmas.. I'm just assuming that temperature control is only really important for first couple of day's

Interesting question - I’m intrigued to see the answer as I too am limited by 1 chamber and would like to brew more often !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likewise, I've had the same thoughts. In theory the temperature is most critical during the first day or 3 when the yeast are growing as that's when most esters are produced. However, my house is cold so if I took some happily fermenting yeast out of the fridge then they'd probably get a shock and quit a bit sooner than expected, all my beers pre-fridge were higher in fg than expected. Maintaining or raising the temp a bit encourages the yeast to attenuate fully and clean up the beer, would it be noticeable? Dunno?

Back