Temperature control

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazedkipper

Reaction score
I be grateful for some suggestions/recommendations for fermentation bucket heating and temperature control. I'm working to a very limited budget and have had my last two brews fail because of what I've been told is poor temperature control. Earlier brews in the spring, summer and autumn have been fine but in the colder I've put the bucket on the floor of the airing cupboard and neither have fermented fully.

If you're not using temperature control you are meant to move it up and down the bucket depending on how much you need to raise the temperature. Lower = more heat.

However when I'm using the inkbird I just chuck it somewhere in the middle, and the controller turns off the belt if it's getting too warm. So pretty much set and forget.

What are your thoughts on the aquarium type heating tubes? I remember my dad having a glass tube heater from Boots years ago.

To put in the wort itself? I'm sure people do it, but have a hunch some will discount it as it's a possible infection risk. You might argue you'll sanitise it and you're happy with that.

But I do know it's one reason people tape the temperature probe for controllers like the Inkbird to the outside rather than putting it into the fermenter itself.

I have recently built a fermentation chamber (under counter fridge) with temperature control for a total of around £41.

Facebook marketplace is your friend for the fridge, then if you are confident in some wiring, and have some wiring bits and bobs in the house, then an STC-1000 seems to be the brewers standard. Lastly, I bought a new heating belt from Amazon.

Fridge - £10
STC1000, plus some plugs/sockets - £12
Heating Belt - £19

Yes I can see it could introduce infections. OK, I'll discount that idea. Cooling is something new to me, why would I do that and how? Is that why people talk of fridges?

Yes I can see it could introduce infections. OK, I'll discount that idea. Cooling is something new to me, why would I do that and how? Is that why people talk of fridges?
Tbh, since I am tight on space, my fermenter is also going to be my kegerator, so the fridge will get it down to around 3 degrees. Also, just means that incase there is excess heat produced by my belt and the exothermic reaction, then the brew won't get too warm, more of a failsafe to keep temps super tight.

In terms of how, the STC will regulate the temperature of your chamber/liquid. Essentially the fridge will kick on to cool if it's too hot, and vice versa for my heating belt.

I use a heat pad, cheap smart plug and an iSpindel - works perfectly and allows me to control temp within a degree. Gives a similar result to an inkbird, but you can also monitor fermentation progress using the ispindel.

I use a heat pad, cheap smart plug and an iSpindel - works perfectly and allows me to control temp within a degree. Gives a similar result to an inkbird, but you can also monitor fermentation progress using the ispindel.
The ispindel is an interesting bit of kit. I can see how you get readings from it but how do you get it to control temperature?

I don't always use the cooling, if the ambient temperature isn't too high I just use a brew belt

https://www.brewuk.co.uk/brew-belt-universal-usage.html
I've just found a Boots heating belt amongst my father's brewing bits and pieces. It's 10w and fits on a demijon for wine, on my fermentation bin it just goes half way round. Do you think it'll be sufficient or are the beer ones longer and more powerful?

I've just found a Boots heating belt amongst my father's brewing bits and pieces. It's 10w and fits on a demijon for wine, on my fermentation bin it just goes half way round. Do you think it'll be sufficient or are the beer ones longer and more powerful?
I'd say if you have it handy, use it and test it. Don't go and spend money on something new yet. You would need a way to measure your liquid. What you could do is just fill your fermenter with 23L of water and keep a temp probe in it, or take the temperature after a while?

I'd say if you have it handy, use it and test it. Don't go and spend money on something new yet. You would need a way to measure your liquid. What you could do is just fill your fermenter with 23L of water and keep a temp probe in it, or take the temperature after a while?
That was my thinking too. I've ordered an STC-1000 to do the control side, it should be here next week and will experiment with it then.

I'm not sure what wattage beer belts usually are, but could wrap some insulation round the fermenter with the 10W belt and see how it goes...

That was my thinking too. I've ordered an STC-1000 to do the control side, it should be here next week and will experiment with it then.
I'm a complete novice at wiring, and I've managed to get it wired. I also used an old takeaway plastic tub as the housing haha.

I found this link helpful as a wiring guide HERE

The idea is a warming heat rather than something that would boil a kettle, so I wouldn't see any harm in trying what you have. The controller will either just keep it on or kill the power to it if it's too warm

The idea is a warming heat rather than something that would boil a kettle, so I wouldn't see any harm in trying what you have. The controller will either just keep it on or kill the power to it if it's too warm
Yes, also the wort is starting out warm after mixing the malt extract etc so it's just to maintain the temperature.

Back