TETB’s Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checked the Helles and it's already down to 1.022 :oops:

That's after 3.5 days with 2 sachets of w-34/70 at 12ºc, and puts it about 64% of the way through fermentation.

It might slow down a bit as it starts running out of fermentable sugars but it's going faster than I expected.
I'd better start thinking about a diacytal rest in a couple of days.

Slightly sulphurous whiff but nothing compared to what I've had from e.g. WY2124.

Sample now fermenting out on the stir-plate to get a proper idea of the FG...

IMG_9175.jpeg

Having just re-read this BYO article on the fast lager process.

So with these words of John Palmer ringing in my ears:
[...] Like I said, there is no conditioning phase as far as the yeast is concerned. Byproducts can be consumed at any point during the high growth phase, but they are a lower energy source than sugar, so guess what? Byproducts are not a biological priority. The brewer therefore needs to plan his pitching rate and fermentation conditions such that the yeast run out of fermentable wort sugar before their lipid reserves are exhausted and they go into stationary phase. Now you have a majority of vigorous yeast that have only undergone 2 reproductions (for example), the sugar is gone, and they are still hungry, so they turn to acetaldehyde and diacetyl as alternate energy sources and maturate the beer
[...] You can help this by doing a diacetyl rest by raising the temperature a few degrees after the first half of fermentation, to keep the yeast active and eating. Where in the fermentation? After the first half, 2⁄3 to 3⁄4, when most of the attenuation has occurred and raising the temperature is not going to cause rampant growth and the off-flavors associated with it

I've decided to start cautiously ramping up the temperature on the Helles.

Gently does it: +1ºc is plenty for now. I might knock it up another degree or so last thing tonight.

Hey, TETB. I was interested in your oatmeal stout. I decided, at a very early stage in my brewing career, and with a very small sample size :D that if I only had the two basics in my cupboard at the time, US05 was a better bet for stouts than S-04. But it seems you've had good results with S-04. Bought for other purposes, but I did get some oatmeal the other day, and have been pondering an oatmeal stout made with actual oatmeal. But perhaps nobody does that for good reason? I don't know.

Hey, TETB. I was interested in your oatmeal stout. I decided, at a very early stage in my brewing career, and with a very small sample size :D that if I only had the two basics in my cupboard at the time, US05 was a better bet for stouts than S-04. But it seems you've had good results with S-04. Bought for other purposes, but I did get some oatmeal the other day, and have been pondering an oatmeal stout made with actual oatmeal. But perhaps nobody does that for good reason? I don't know.
Hi Moto! - yes I quite like the S-04 in a stout: gives a good clean finish and hopefully there's enough going on with the malts that it's not short of character.
My mate tried it last night and pronounced it "very Christmassy" 🤣

I'm not absolutely sure what the oatmeal adds to it... I just use Scotts 'old fashioned' porridge oats from the kitchen cupboard. I think it thickens up the mouth-feel and adds a very slight creaminess; but I'd hesitate to go over 250g (5-6%) as you could easily end up with porridge - i.e. a completely stuck mash. Obviously being completely un-malted the ones I use don't contribute any enzymes either - but I should think their starches get converted in the mash alright so they do probably contribute a tiny bit to the gravity.

IMG_9195.jpeg

Wort was crystal clear after the boil... then it went through the CFC :roll:

View attachment 91663
Was that straight out of the CFC or after a while?

I always had cloudy wort like this straight out of the CFC until one day I realised looked at the sample tube later and it was crystal clear.

Now I've realised that it starts out cloudy like the above, but over a period of about 5 minutes you can see it starting to clump together, and then over the next half hour the clumps all drop out leaving completely clear wort.

I always had cloudy wort like this straight out of the CFC […] but over a period of about 5 minutes you can see it starting to clump together, and then over the next half hour the clumps all drop out leaving completely clear wort.
Yes I agree :-) it’s just the cold break, and it settles out pretty quickly.
I used to worry about it and let it settle out a bit then rack off, but these days I just tip it all into the FV: it doesn't seem to have any effect on the clarity of the final beer, and I’m told it can act as a bit of a yeast nutrient athumb..

Presumably as it’s evidently a bit denser than the wort it makes the hydrometer read a bit high until it’s settled out?

Same glass? I always find slightly under carbed ales are far more prone to dishwasher / soap rements on glasses, which have gone by the second pint. Sure it will be fine once fully carbed up.
Good thinking - yes, it was the same glass.
All in all it's nice to see a good foam on the glass from a cosmetic perspective, but I'm not entirely sure why!

I'm a bit behind you on my Helles, only a few days in. The fermenting chamber is set for 13c and the brew has climbed to about 14.5c. Once it starts to drop I'm going to start ramping. I'm also using 34/70 but I'm not getting sulphur.
What was your OG? I was a bit taken aback by how fast mine dropped

What was your OG? I was a bit taken aback by how fast mine dropped

OG was 1.045. Temp is still climbing.

Interestingly because the brewchamber is only a bit bigger than the FV and really well insulated (50mm of recticel) the heat from the brew is warming the chamber. Its keeping it to 1c less than the brew which I think is a good thing (cheap on leccy anyway :D ).

I only added the yeast three days ago, do you think I should take a sample today ?

Definitely!

Took a reading earlier - 1.015, so its about 67% apparent attenuation already. Put the FV up to 14, going to increase it by a degree every day until its 18 then transfer it to the brewfridge (which will be empty by then) and cold crash it ready for kegging. The sample tasted really nice.😊

Taking the sample lead to a minor disaster. I'd fitted a tap to the FV and I mustn't have tightened it enough because as I twisted the tap so I could get the sample jar in place it started to leak. So I had to lift out the FV, sanitise my arm and stick it in so I could tighten it. Felt like it wasn't tight at all ashock1, easily gave it nearly a full turn. I should have checked the tightness before I filled it, it must have expanded or contracted or something since I fitted it.

Every day is a school day.

Ooh I'm jealous I can't start mine until the 28th as the fermenter is busy 🤣

Trying to get it kegged for the 22nd Dec though when we go on holly jollies 😁
'The' fermenter ??? I assume you mean the one that has temp control ? 😊

My cobbled together heat only, loft insulation fermentation chamber is working really well in these coldish conditions. Fortunately when we get Wednesday's one day, 14c heat wave my Helles will be set to 16c so all OK. Must say I'm impressed with the 34/70 yeast.

Today's brew (NZ Pale) will be split across 4 Demis. Every now and then I like the comforting sound of a blipping air lock :D.

lift out the FV, sanitise my arm and stick it in so I could tighten it
Yep - been there; got the teeshirt. Except in my case it was the opposite problem: I’d overtightened the tap and the O ring had buckled…

When it comes to tightening the tap you can sometimes get away with sliding a paddle down the inside and holding it against the top surface of the nut while rotating the tap.

Last edited:
Must say I'm impressed with the 34/70 yeast.
Yes it’s a good doer - although I’ll suspend final judgement until I have tasted the results.
One thing I’d say from the sample taken for a fast-ferment test is that it seems to be clearing down only very slowly: think I might be adding some finings when I keg it.
image.jpg

Back