TETB new mash/sparge setup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Posting this partly for my own reference and partly in case it's of interest to anyone else.

With my old setup I used to sparge from the Burco by hoisting it up. But that:
  • was a bit of a faff
  • was probably an accident waiting to happen, and
  • meant I couldn't start heating for the boil until all the sparge had run through.
So here's the new setup (I've removed the insulating jackets so it's easier to see what's going on):
Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 17.29.33.png
IMG_8100.jpeg

ModeValve AValve BValve CValve D
HERMSSHUTSHUTOPENSHUT
Fly SpargeOPENPart OPENSHUTPart OPEN

So in practice, I heat the sparge water to about 70 deg C and then transfer it to the HLT just before sparging; then I turn the kettle up and let the heat exchanger put the last few degrees on it before it goes into the sparge head.

I'm thinking I could also dump some sodium percarbonate in after the grain basket has come out and do a bit of clean-in-place.

PS: The sharp-eyed may notice that valve 'B' is in a slightly different place in the photo than in the schematic. I'm still undecided which is the better option :-)

Last edited:
thanks for the link, interesting.
do you have any android experience? I ask as I started building a tilt hydrometer last year but stalled at the android app stage as I realized it was going to take me some work to learn it, I have put it on the back shelf until I am short of other things to do, the physical device is mostly finished just the android application with graphical display to do. I have implemented the project with a pic16f886 surface mount device on a board made at pcbway, a small gyroscope module and a bluetooth 5 module, no maths on board as this is better done in the android application, just the gyroscope reading and careful power control on the pic.

do you have any android experience?
No, sorry I’m afraid not: I’m an Apple developer.
I built a tilt hydrometer too last year, and also another similar design; both using Bluetooth Low Energy. However I decided not to progress them for the time being because I really prefer just taking a hydrometer sample :-)

Back