Tetely cask in one of my local spoons pubs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cask is best

Landlord.
Reaction score
Me and swmbo went on an afternoon sesh today. Fancied a change from our very good city centre pubs to something different[ change of scenery so to speak]So we headed out to a main road shopping centre location with a good selection of pubs. Our first pub was one I have not been in for 28 years. Big improvement looks like it had been done up recently to a very good standard £5.30 odd for a Magners and pint of Abbotts ale. Around a quid odd cheaper than town centre boozers. But then went to a sppons pub pint of Teteleys cask and pint of Stowford press £3.30 odd. The Tetelys was £1.55 and when I asked the bar man why the Tetelys was £1.55 he seemed embarrassed and said unfortunately it had to go up from £1.49 to £1.55 due to costs. I had to smile and said. " I was enquiring why it was so cheap not complaining.
:D
Will be visiting these off the beaten track pubs more often.

It was ok mate. Not the best T. Cask I have tasted but very drinkable and could have stayed there for a few more but moved on.

cheers, i'll keep an eye out for it at the local JDW's.

I'm having a weekend away with the kids, in a carvan site and I've just paid £10.50 for 1 pint of 'pedigree'(which was very nice on cask) and four halves of cordial.... :shock: :wha:

Whilst there is the argument that chain pubs are a threat to smaller pubs, JDW are extremely competitive on price. The brutal truth is that if I wanted a couple of pints out I would probably go to JDW because they are 1) cheap and 2) tend to have a really good selection of cask ales rather than the gas filled tasteless usual suspects.

chrig said:
I'm having a weekend away with the kids, in a carvan site and I've just paid £10.50 for 1 pint of 'pedigree'(which was very nice on cask) and four halves of cordial.... :shock: :wha:

I feel your pain. :doh:

chrig said:

Jesus. How much was the pedigree. Bloody thieves.

kentmark said:
Whilst there is the argument that chain pubs are a threat to smaller pubs, JDW are extremely competitive on price. The brutal truth is that if I wanted a couple of pints out I would probably go to JDW because they are 1) cheap and 2) tend to have a really good selection of cask ales rather than the gas filled tasteless usual suspects.

Based on observation JDW aren't a threat to 'real' pubs, but to the neighbouring city centre pubs, which by and large are there for Friday and Saturday night binge drinking, no chairs, very few tables, maximum floor space to pack in boozers and no where to put your drink down. Compared to that type of pub they are a haven, somewhere to sit, noise levels low enough to be able to have a conversation and decent beer at affordable prices.

The 'real' pubs around me tend to be village pubs, villages seem to be outside of JDW's target area. The village pub around me will have at least a couple of decent beers, do good food, have friendly bar staff, a beer garden and still not charge stupid amounts for beer. I have a couple of placces within a 5 mile radius of me, a round for the wife and is generally around a fiver, pint of ale and a pint of diet coke (wife doesn't drink often, she doesn't like the taste).

cask is best said:
chrig said:

Must have been six quid, or the cordials got put through at a silly prices.. Maybe soft drinks. I didn't order another so their loss

chrig said:
cask is best said:
chrig said:

Must have been six quid, or the cordials got put through at a silly prices.. Maybe soft drinks. I didn't order another so their loss

Where abouts was that? I need to make sure I don't go there :shock:

Back