The All Important 2nd brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_1984

Reaction score
Going to be bottling my first bitter brew after a few years in the wilderness and ALREADY have my next one lined up.

Anyone else got anything good/bad to say about Tom Caxton Dark Ale kits from Wilkinsons?

As it's going to be my 2nd brew and i'm keen to experiment & improve on kits, i've bought/ordered a few extras...

1) 2 jars of malt extract from Holland & Barrett
2) 1kg of brewing sugar
3) 2 bags of spraymalt; Muntons Light & Medium
4) 100g of Brupak atlas hops

Any thoughts/recommendations?
I was thinking of adding the hops in with the malt, maybe add a bit more c/o Holland & Barrett & do a mix of brewing sugar + spraymalt

TBH, I like it reasonably simple. Rather than brewing to 40 pints I would just do 20 pints with the one can, no extra sugar, and a good yeast, Nottingham or S-04. Saves messing about with additions and is my preference when it comes to bottling time.

Yeah ditch the sugar, dry malt extract is all the sugar (glucose) you need adding sugar just increases the strength (if this is required add more malt instead) also when bottling use malt instead too , gives a better head to your beer

Thanks for the help; picked up the H&B malt in their annual sale (and true to form, didn't find that anywhere else, Gethin)

Made some turbo cider a few hours whilst i get ready for bottling me bitters tomorrow...

Latest posts

Back