The Best Starter Kit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClownPrince

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine is considering getting into Homebrew while we're in lockdown.
He's asked what to get as a newbie. I don't want to recommend anything too pricey so I've set a £100.00 budget.
My choice was The Home Brew Company's Beer Starter Kit as it includes bottles and I know he generally drinks cans so probably won't have too many empties.
Beer Starter Kit, includes 48 bottles, Beer kit, Brewing Sugar - The Homebrew Company
This leaves about £30.00 of the budget. He doesn't drink Lager (the included kit) so I've also recommended the mangrove jacks Aussie Pale Ale
Mangrove Jack's Craft Series Australian Pale Ale - 2.5kg (40 Pints) Recipe No.13 - The Homebrew Company
and a kilo of Light DME
Spray-Dried Malt Extract Light 1kg - The Homebrew Company

That totals up (unless my maths has gone completely skew whiff) to about £99.00

Would anyone be able to find a better way to spend £100.00 for an absolute beginner?

I started on this Young's starter kit. I think it cost about £70 at the time and I still use the keg and fermenting bucket even though I've moved over to all-grain about two years ago. Don't worry about bottles, you can get these all over the place and they often come with free beer inside. You'll just need a capper like the one from Wilko's and some crown caps.

I would second @Hew's Brews comment, I started on the Youngs kit, it normally comes with a beer kit as well. This will give you all the basic equipment needed and a nice easy to make kit for £65/£70. I would recommend the IPA kit. Leaves you plenty of money left over for another premium kit, or for aquiring some full bottles to empty whilst you wait the 4-6 weeks needed.

Cheers, Nick

I echo the above sentiments, bought the youngs kit in 2016 and im still using bits that were in it

Back