The Cheshire Brewhouse a Much Bigger Build than Bridestone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have done a bit more tonight, As I managed to find a local firm that could roll me some material to make a filter strainer.

Therefore I have finished my "CHESHIRE STYLE HOP ROCKET"

2457befd.jpg

Nice Tight Fit :D
b5780629.jpg

Inlet From the Copper
4bd7c941.jpg

Fitted in place, almost ready to be used in anger :D
ca08567e.jpg

Finally the Meringues in the pale ale have gone to be replaced with little fluffy clouds
4368f023.jpg

The Mild I brewed on Saturday has finished and will be casked tomorrow night, & all the beer I have made so far has also been sold :D

Will be at Mobberley Victory Club Beer Festival as well as Styal this month.

UP

I don't post on here (on the other forum usually) but this is a phenomenal build UP, cracking job all round! definitely following this thread with much interest!
Cook

Cheers, the two brews out on the market at the mo, are not the best beers I have ever made, but people are buying them quite happily, & I have only heard positive comments so far, but I am still tweaking, & concentrating on the 3.7% Pale at the moment, I have brewed Cheshire Gap again this week, with a couple of small alterations from Gyle no 1, and can say so far its going to plan, & will hopefully produce a very Clean session beer once I am happy with it.

I am still only brewing on the 1BBL brewery though, have had a few small setbacks over the weekend, but back on track and hoping to break the new brewhouse in properly this sat/sunday, beer festival on friday night so think it could be day off sat and brew sunday, I need a day off.

Sparge arms been remade in 22mm copper, and works very well, (didn't even have to make ant tweaks to it)
Video Here

Very Slow running trial Video is here

Thanks for all the support so far, it is appreciated.

UP

Have been that busy getting things wrapped up that I have not had time to post for a while, but on Sunday 22nd July, I did the first brew on the new plant, & even Had time to take a few photos here and there.

Fresh 5kg bag of Magnum Cracked and the smell was fantastic.
e815d678.jpg

Grains weighed out and ready for strike water
2612ea39.jpg

Hopback loaded with some nice aroma Hops
6032a449.jpg

Mash on and spotty dog for temp (makes you sweat doughing in over 100kg of grain :D )
fc4e8388.jpg

Sparging the Mash Sparge arm and mash tun worked exactly as planned, lost no temperature during the mash, and lost only 2deg whilst vorlaffing, so very happy.
Click here for Video

First Running's looking good
7e3eeafc.jpg

Underback doing a sterling job
222a0ee7.jpg

Best shovel the spent grains out of the tun, (more sweating & toil, but envigorating)
07ac4748.jpg

Finished wort at 1047OG a couple of points over the 1045 I was aiming at, but first brew of this recipe so happy enough. It may look a little cloudy in the sample jar as the cold break hasn't formed, but it dropped clear as a bell & will make a nice looking beer if it comes out to plan.
d94a9c90.jpg

Went to see how the yeasties are doing this evening to be greeted by Mount Etna :D
10dc5d0d.jpg

The foam of the top has a fantastic taste so hopefully this brew will be winging its way around Cheshire at the end of next week. Just have to give it a name now.

:drink:

UP

Just love this thread,well done Shane! :clap:
I'm a multiskilled engineer for a soft-drinks manufacturer so have an interest in not just the brewing side but also your brewery build and control systems ;)
Is this now a full time occupation for you?
:cheers:

Good work mate. :cheers:

I made the step up to 6 barrels myself almost exactly a year ago and it's been great. Still need to sell more beer but great fun all the same. Good luck with everything.

Phil.

Phil/Shaun,

What advice would you give other hobby brewers that would like to do what you have done?

Thanks in advance for your replies .
Don't worry I live in south Northants so wouldn't be on your patch ;)

Simon.

My advice would be to make sure you have an understanding or enthusiastic other half. Preferably one who can pay the mortgage for a while!

Setting up is not that tough but I didn't build the kit from scratch like UP did. I would imagine that would be great fun but a right royal pain in the butt.

Read the Micro Brewer's Handbook before you do anything.

Don't waste your money on the "Start Up Brewing" course at Brewlab. Too much emphasis on brewing and not enough on the start up.

Get the floor right first time. I bought expensive, epoxy paint which is now flaking off everywhere. I'm going to have to strip it right back and try something else. Swimming pool paint as mentioned in this thread sounds just the job.

All the best,
Phil.

Nice site and awesome set up Phil :)
Yeah SWMBO needs to be on side even on a homebrew scale.... can't imagine how far on side she needs to be for you to pull the pin and go for broke though...

Phil said:
My advice would be to make sure you have an understanding or enthusiastic other half. Preferably one who can pay the mortgage for a while!

Setting up is not that tough but I didn't build the kit from scratch like UP did. I would imagine that would be great fun but a right royal pain in the butt.

Read the Micro Brewer's Handbook before you do anything.

Don't waste your money on the "Start Up Brewing" course at Brewlab. Too much emphasis on brewing and not enough on the start up.

Get the floor right first time. I bought expensive, epoxy paint which is now flaking off everywhere. I'm going to have to strip it right back and try something else. Swimming pool paint as mentioned in this thread sounds just the job.

All the best,
Phil.

Cheers Phil, sorry to but into this thread, but I am not far away, looking for the first brew for Sheffield Beer Festival (October 2012), Dronfield Beer Festival (October) then Rotherham ( November)

Latest posts

Back