The downfall of the Tory party.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
His son has set up a very successful business. On the job training it's valued at millions, he found that a large percentage of people went to university and ended up getting jobs not related to their degree.
Not millions he is now worth 1.4 billion pounds. And never used his university degree, goes to show you don't need to be an academic to make money. But he did use his house as collateral on start up.

Keep hearing about growth, growth, growth, and to be fair, I’m not an economist. However, these past low growth years, a decade or so, have brought the lowest interest rates effecting mortgages and the like and the lowest food prices.
Like I say, I’m not an economist, but I wonder if I want growth 🤷‍♂️

There is always a cost to growth. This question doesn't get asked enough.

Another day another Tory disaster -

Trade minister Conor Burns has been sacked from the government after a complaint of serious misconduct.
Mr Burns, 50, has also had the Tory whip removed while allegations of inappropriate behaviour earlier this week are investigated.
The BBC understands the claims refer to an incident at the Conservative Party conference in Birmingham.
Downing Street said: "The Prime Minister took direct action on being informed of this allegation."
"Following a complaint of serious misconduct, the Prime Minister has asked Conor Burns MP to leave the Government with immediate effect," No 10 said.
Liz Truss "is clear that all ministers should maintain the high standards of behaviour - as the public rightly expects," a spokesperson added.
A spokesman for the Whips' Office said: "We have suspended the whip pending [an] investigation into allegations of inappropriate behaviour earlier this week.
"We take all such allegations extremely seriously. The Prime Minister has been clear that the highest standards in public life must be upheld."
The MP for Bournemouth West since 2010, Mr Burns worked as a minister under both Liz Truss and Boris Johnson.
Mr Burns has been approached for comment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63177669
1665159324052.png

The poster regarding how much money could be saved by a first time buyer on £30,000 got the following response from the money saving expert
Martin Lewis
@MartinSLewis
·
3 Oct

This is nonsense. To make that stamp duty saving you'd need to be buying a £500,000+ property. With 10% deposit, cheapest fix mortgage would cost £2,400/mth (£28,000/yr). How can someone on £30k afford that I am asking treasury to remove.

I believe they have withdrawn the poster.

Just shows that HM Treasurey can’t do maths, or correct research.

My understanding of when the whip has been withdrawn means that the MP remains in office, as an independent.

The article doesn’t state what is meant by inappropriate behaviour, but as a Conservative MP it could include the following:

Not lining his own pockets,
Having a heart,
Going against the party line,
Telling the truth,
Acting in the best interest of his constituents,

I could go on.

My understanding of when the whip has been withdrawn means that the MP remains in office, as an independent.

The article doesn’t state what is meant by inappropriate behaviour, but as a Conservative MP it could include the following:

Not lining his own pockets,
Having a heart,
Going against the party line,
Telling the truth,
Acting in the best interest of his constituents,

I could go on.
Interestingly Mel B aka Scary Spice was at the conference and has commented on twitter.

The poster regarding how much money could be saved by a first time buyer on £30,000 got the following response from the money saving expert
Martin Lewis
@MartinSLewis
·
3 Oct

This is nonsense. To make that stamp duty saving you'd need to be buying a £500,000+ property. With 10% deposit, cheapest fix mortgage would cost £2,400/mth (£28,000/yr). How can someone on £30k afford that I am asking treasury to remove.

I believe they have withdrawn the poster.

Just shows that HM Treasurey can’t do maths, or correct research.
Which supports my feeling that people/ministers in charge of departments, should be suitably qualified to do so.
At least important departments.

Which supports my feeling that people/ministers in charge of departments, should be suitably qualified to do so.
At least important departments.

And that's the problem, isn't it? There's this mad assumption that ministers are experts of their portfolio. That's rarely the case.

The better ones listen to their civil servants and get across their brief properly. Unfortunately none of the ***** are in their posts long enough to become knowledgeable enough to lead effectively. How can we expect departments to operate properly when they have a new minister every 6 months. It's bonkers, and no way to govern.

Ian Blackford has described Tory economic plans as a "nightmare".
The SNP Westminster leader said Liz Truss and Kwasi Kwarteng had made "the worst first impression in the history of British politics".
And he said the "inequality and incompetence of (the) Budget will go down as one of the worst financial interventions in modern history."
He told his party's conference that Scotland should not be "shackled to the Westminster shambles".
During his speech in Aberdeen, he said: "What was once 'fairytale economics' - used to bribe votes from Tory members in the summer - has become everyone else's nightmare this autumn and winter."

He laid down a challenge to Conservative MPs.
"Here's a test for the new Conservative rebels who are magically multiplying by the day.
"If they have any sense of morality - if they have any backbone - they will join with us in stopping any real-terms cuts to benefits and any return to austerity."
He added: "This is now broke, broken Britain. Your homes, your pensions, your incomes are not safe under Westminster control.
"It is a cost, a risk, a price that Scotland can't afford to pay any longer."

The three-day conference is the first in-person gathering of the party since before the Covid pandemic.
Earlier, deputy leader Keith Brown took aim at the UK government, saying that Liz Truss was a "symptom of the dysfunction at Westminster".
He said of Liz Truss: "She has delivered more chaos and confusion than even the most pessimistic prediction."
Watched by SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon, he went on: "In less than a month, she has tanked the economy; risked the pensions of millions; scrapped the cap on bankers' bonuses; announced and then U-turned on income tax cuts for the wealthy; created a debt crisis; and showed the world she is singularly unfit for the job.
"The chaos she has created is no surprise.
"She has been a Tory government minister for a decade, serving under Cameron, May and Johnson. From austerity to Brexit, she's been complicit in inflicting the worst Tory policies on the people of this country.
"It is a sobering thought that when the history of 2022 is written, it will record that Boris Johnson was not even the worst prime minister this year."

'Dysfunction at Westminster'

Mr Brown added: "What is clear is that Liz Truss is a symptom of the dysfunction at Westminster - not the cause.
"The very fact that she and her policy agenda was deemed acceptable to enter Downing Street in the first place speaks volumes."
The deputy leader made a call for members to be united and to campaign for independence with kindness.
He said the way the SNP conducts the campaign is an advert for the Scotland that he wants to see.

Mr Brown also said the Westminster system was beyond repair, claiming Labour were the handmaidens of more Tory rule.
He condemned Labour, describing leader Sir Keir Starmer as "just another Tony Blair" and accusing the party of being "as Trumpian as the Tories in their denial of Scottish democracy".

'Deeply damaging Brexit'

He told delegates: "It is an incontrovertible fact that the SNP has a cast-iron mandate to hold an independence referendum.
"But Labour always side with the Tories to protect Westminster control - no matter how high a price the people of Scotland pay. Labour supports the deeply damaging Brexit that Scotland did not vote for.
"I repeat, Labour supports Brexit, and stands against any Scottish aspiration for our country to re-join the European family of nations.
"And never forget, never forgive, that in 2014 it was Labour who championed the No campaign message that only a No vote would deliver economic stability."

Mr Brown announced plans for the party to enter into the "broadcasting arena".
"We will soon launch a new broadcast platform, with the first episode of this new show covering the debate over Scotland's future," he told the conference.
The show appeared to be a podcast named Scotland's Voices, with a one-minute clip including people from Glasgow reacting to the Prime Minister posted on podcast streaming platforms.
Nicola Sturgeon will deliver her keynote speech on Monday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-63184781

A public information campaign to help people reduce energy bills this winter was pulled by No 10 on the grounds of cost, a cabinet minister has said.
The campaign to encourage household energy saving would have cost up to £15m, Nadhim Zahawi told the BBC's Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg programme.
The PM's office raised objections to the plan, the BBC reported on Friday.
And asked about the possibility of winter blackouts, Mr Zahawi said these were "very unlikely".
Amid concerns about rising household energy costs, the government has said it would limit average bill rises to £2,500 through government borrowing, at a cost of £60bn for six months.
To help people save energy and cut costs, the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) had been preparing a public information campaign.
But Prime Minister Liz Truss is reported to have been "ideologically opposed" to the campaign, fearing it would be too interventionist.

Cabinet minister Mr Zahawi, the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, told the BBC that the campaign would have cost up to £15m, and denied that it being dropped indicated the government was divided.
He said such a campaign was unnecessary because the National Grid, which distributes energy across the UK, and regulator Ofgem were running similar campaigns.
"What the prime minister quite rightly [...] has done is to say: 'We don't need to spend £14m or £15m on another campaign, if National Grid and Ofgem are doing that work'," he said.
Mr Zahawi said that information on saving energy was also already on UK government websites.
"That is, I think, being prudent with taxpayers' money. It isn't a divide," he said.

Following a warning from National Grid that UK households could lose power for up to three hours at a time this winter, Mr Zahawi said that scenario was "very unlikely".
"I'm confident that the resilience is there, that people can enjoy their Christmas," he said.
Martin Pibworth, a managing director at energy firm SSE, said that investment the UK had made in renewables "gives us a little bit more security of supply compared with our European neighbours".
He said the "weaponisation of gas supplies by the Putin regime is clearly quite a big issue in terms of the [market] volatility that is being caused".
But he said there are other risk factors including French nuclear generation being lower than normal, and the drought affecting Europe this summer having had an impact on hydro-electric power.
However, he said "what protects the UK a bit more is renewable investments it has made historically, and actually this is a great opportunity to think how we can increase those investments to get better energy security going forward".
Ms Truss has pledged to beef up the UK's energy security by speeding up the deployment of renewables, although she is against solar farms on "productive agricultural land".
Her government has also said it would launch new licences for North Sea oil and gas and has lifted a moratorium on fracking.
Ms Truss has insisted that fracking would only go ahead with "local consent", and ministers are considering proposals from fracking firms to offer more money to communities to persuade them to give permission.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63191791

Don`t worry my dear Cat he wont have to.!!!
But I do hope the SNP and the other smaller parties at Westminster will co-operate to deliver a sound government " Of and for the people.",

Its well overdue.

Latest posts

Back