The dreaded acetaldehyde question.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucus_j

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking for a bit of reassurance (or alternatively a "nope, too late: bin it!")

I bottled a batch of Maltmiller Mysterios SNPA yesterday and the smell was pretty cidery / sharp. So I'm worried that it's the dreaded acetaldehyde and all 23L is worthless! FWIW all the gravity samples I took were tasty and not sharpđź‘Ť

For background, it was an all grain BIAB; brew day was fine (OG was 1.056 - that's +2 points over expected) and fermentation (19C for 12 days) was likewise OK (FG was 1.014 measured over 3 days and +3 points over expected 1.011). Cold crashed @ 4.5C for 2 days. Primed at 2.6 vols and currently bottle conditioning @19C.

But yeah, a bit stinky.

So, is all lost or (shudder) is patience called for at this point? Might a couple of months conditioning clear it up?

Thanks folks!

Beers can change tremendously in weeks believe me., so as Covrich says give it time to mature in the bottle. TIME is the homebrewers best tool athumb..

Can't be any harm in leaving it alone. I've recently had it with a lager and after a few more weeks in the warmth it was good to go.

Yeah, don't throw it yet.

I had one recently, no idea why it happened, it didn't really get any worse as it matured but it was there in the background. Fortunately, my missus couldn't taste it so she drank the whole batch: apparently some taste buds are more susceptible to it than others, I seem to be able to pickup the merest whiff of it.

Back