The Journey to BIAB starts...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrangeBrew

Reaction score
Up till now I have only done kits and some extract brews using speciality grains and DME in a smaller pot and extra hops to compensate for the reduced boil size...

Decided to move up a step and don't really have the room for a major brewery setup so decided to go BIAB... So ordered a 50 litre stainless pot and a whole stack of grains from one of our sponsors " The Malt Miller " this morning... Should all be here tomorrow and the start of a new brewing era for me :-)

:cheers:

I'll be watching closely, this is where I see me going in the future.

Looking forward to your reports!

graysalchemy said:
With all that shiney the darkside is calling you.

Not sure if one big pot qualifies as " all that shiney " :lol:

But with my space limitations a 1 pot solution like BIAB is ideal for me ...

IMO, thats a great start... It leaves you room for modifications later (tap, element, etc)...
I use a Voile bag the missus made me, it cost £1.50 for 1yd x 62 inches, even got a nice large hop bag from it...

If the boiler can fit inside the bag, then your onto a winner... Nice size pot too.. :cheers:

Old Firkin said:
IMO, thats a great start... It leaves you room for modifications later (tap, element, etc)...
I use a Voile bag the missus made me, it cost £1.50 for 1yd x 62 inches, even got a nice large hop bag from it...

If the boiler can fit inside the bag, then your onto a winner... Nice size pot too.. :cheers:

I went for a good size pot with enough room rather than trying to squeeze into a smaller one...

Have found a local haberdasher that stocks Voile and plan to pick up some Wednesday. also checked out copper tube in the local DIY for making a wort cooler...

Plenty of grain and hops coming with the pot tomorrow ... will soon be in business :D

I'm a huge fan of BIAB!!
Great call on the big pot. I used a 13L for ages and just upgraded to 33L pot last week.
One brew in and I can't believe I didn't scale up sooner!!!!

BIAB is a total AG system in itself, not some sort of stepping stone to a mythical superior AG pinnacle plane of existence :thumb:
For the recent Brisbane, Queensland, Home Brew Conference we did four brews using an identical grain and ingredients bill for a Fullers ESB lookalike, using

• BIAB
    3 vessel
    Speidel Braumeister
    a sort of Electrim type electric bucket arrangement

The results were judged by blind tasting at the conference lunch, and BIAB won narrowly over the Braumeister. :clap:

50L pot is ideal, but you may want to get it drilled and fit a tap, so much easier than using syphon pick up tubes etc.
It is possible to to BIAB in smaller pots such as 30L but really there's little space saving.

I brew biab.

Put plainly and simply it's the easiest and cheapest way of brewing AG.

It rocks :thumb:

All my goodies arrived safely... The pot is excellent quite heavy and sturdy given the price...

Everything else came well packed and exactly as ordered, a thumbs up to "The Malt Miller"

Off to pick up some Voile today and the copper tubes ordered online for the wort cooler...

Regards to all :cheers:

artyb said:
any updates from anyone... :hmm:

My start into all grain got diverted by the acquisition of 23kg of malt extract for nothing. Having used all that up now doing extract brews (putting my new pot to use at least). I have now completed my first 2 AG BIAB brews, an IPA and a Stout. I can find little to fault the method and for now at least don't see any reason to go to a more complex system.

Next brew planned is a US style APA :-)

Great stuff StrangeBrew!! :cheers:

I started doing BIAB when I moved into my current flat. Space restrictions and living on my own meant there wasnt the space nor the need to brew massive batches on a 3 tier setup. Orignally for my BIAB was just gonig to be for small batches in the flat, but I think when I get more space and start doing 5g again I'll go down a similar route - One big shiny pot. It's such a simple & enjoyable way to brew. :thumb:

Back