The magic of a cold crash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowcrow

Landlord.
Reaction score
So I had a normally murky brew with the weird 'cauliflower' bits that float around in it, plus a load of hops pellets:

IMG_20210911_155409.jpg

Lovely and yeasty and murky

3 days at 0.5c in the keezer and look how clear and golden it is. Went straight in the keg last night and blasted with co2, and cannot wait for work to finish today to sample, but should be lovely and clear still as I was very careful to not syphon any yeast it bits in.

IMG_20210923_205805.jpg

IMG_20210923_205815.jpg

No need for any finings or gelatin - just great golden brown beer! Everything had dropped out and cleared right up. (might not be that clear in the pic, but was lovely seeing such a clear beer into the keg. Maybe my clearest yet!)

No, I don't - I leave it in the boiler (on the for about an hour to cool, then pour into the fv when it is about 75c - and then stick the fv in a bucket with some water and a wet towel. If I'm lucky it is down to pitching temp by the evening, if not I do it the next day.

Only time I do different is when I'm pressure fermenting in a keg, in which case I go straight from the boiler to the keg when it is about 95c (through a silicone tube to stop splashing)

Latest posts

Back