The Price of Copper!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beermonsta said:
I used 8mm copper to make mine. It has 8 (yes eight) individual coils and a full 25m length of pipe....
P1020500.JPG

and I'm in the middle of making a simpler version for a fellow brewer that uses 4 coils...
IMG_20110421_195259.jpg

You can see the small CO2 cylinder that was used as a former to coil the copper around in the background.

In fact I've got to help make another one - and I'm not looking forward to drilling another 144 holes!

Thats a lot of copper, how much did it cost to make.

beermonsta said:
I used 8mm copper to make mine. It has 8 (yes eight) individual coils and a full 25m length of pipe....
P1020500.JPG

and I'm in the middle of making a simpler version for a fellow brewer that uses 4 coils...
IMG_20110421_195259.jpg

You can see the small CO2 cylinder that was used as a former to coil the copper around in the background.

In fact I've got to help make another one - and I'm not looking forward to drilling another 144 holes!

a thing of beauty.

well done that man :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

That's a serious bit of kit :clap:

Maybe a bit of overkill though - unless of course you are chilling a serious large amount of wort...

I love your handy work!! those look amazing. They definately put my wort chiller to shame. I heard on the radio today somebody was talking about the price of copper and said it's shot up by about 50% in price.

thanks for all the kind words. It's not as big as it looks you know (no smutty comments required :grin: ) It will fit in both a 75l or 100l boiler. My brew length is around 70l so it's worth having the extra cooling capacity.
Maybe a bit of overkill though - unless of course you are chilling a serious large amount of wort...
nahh, I'll use this...
IMG_20110328_215820.jpg

my GPHE if I want to do overkill :rofl:

Thats a lot of copper, how much did it cost to make.
Don't ask! - The copper price has undoubtedly gone up. I bought the 25m for mine for around £30 from BnQ believe it or not when they had a sale on (won't touch the usless rip off buggers normally :) )
The other bits of pipe, fittings solder, connectors probably etc etc add up to around £30 too.

Back