The Soup Thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
Thought it might be fun to post some recipes for your favourite soup. I get bored quickly of most food so always looking for something new to try. O often overcook stuff but soup seems fairly hard to screw so suite me. Will start off with one i have been making for years. Not sure where it came from but i modified it. Everyone loves it;

Butter bean soup.

700g (aprox) dried butter beans soaked overnight
1 tin chopped tomatoes
tomatoe puree
chilli flakes or mixed herbs if you prefer
150ml oil
4 large sliced carrots
4 large roughly chopped onions
salt and pepper

Change water and cook the beans (no salt) until they are 3/4 done.
Add the rest of the ingredients and cook another 30 minutes or so until the carrots are soft.
Add more salt if needed and reduce.

If I remember later I'll look up the recipe at home but the missus does a curried / spicy parsnip soup which is very tasty.

The usual favourites go down well too i.e. carrot and coriander, leek and potato, and chicken soup.

Made pumpkin soup earlier...
1 kg approx peeled and diced pumpkin
1 large onion sliced
240 ml double cream
Half litre stock
Ground pepper

Gently sauté the pumpkin and onion in a splash of olive oil until it turns to mush. Add the stock and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes or so. Add the cream and stir in. Remove from the heat and blitz with a hand blender until completely smooth. Season.
Dead easy and very tasty! I like a few drops of hot sauce in mine!

Yes Clint twas Dutto i was thinking about. :mrgreen:

Made a very simple Onion Soup yesterday.

2oz butter melted in pan
About 8 large onions sliced on top simmered with LID on stirred occasionally on very low heat for 2 or 3 hours until dark brown.
Add water, onion stock, salt, pepper, soy sauce and spoon of marmite.
Simmer for 30mins.

Stock some Chicken and strain it off the bones/leftovers.

Chop 3 or 4 Carrots dept on size
Chop 1 onion fine
Chop 3 or 4 sticks of Celery.
A good handful of frozen Cabbage.

Put the stock into a pan add a stock cube, the vege, plenty of dried Parsley and 2 or 3 Bay Leaves.

Easy tasty and comforting.

aamcle

Stock some Chicken and strain it off the bones/leftovers.

Chop 3 or 4 Carrots dept on size
Chop 1 onion fine
Chop 3 or 4 sticks of Celery.
A good handful of frozen Cabbage.

Put the stock into a pan add a stock cube, the vege, plenty of dried Parsley and 2 or 3 Bay Leaves.

Easy tasty and comforting.

aamcle
Oh my god:nono:
My old dad used to boil up the turkey carcass after xmas,much along those lines,ie adding various veg to it-----arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what a horrid stink.
he always reckoned it would put hairs on me chest:lol:

For hairs on your chest you need Sheeps Head Broth.

Yes it's a real thing my Mum used to make it, it would set into a jelly if allowed to go cold but it was delicious.

aamcle

PS. You can't make good soup without good stock

Nice thread. A couple of my faves are curried parsnip, and spicy (jerk) squash. I don't have recipes particularly. Both would have sauted onion and veg, simmer in good stock, add curry powder (former) or Jerk spices / scotch bonnet (latter) and blitz til smooth. Yum mmmmmmmmm!

I love a homemade mushroom soup, but leek and potato is the classic for me. Sweat the leeks and some garlic in butter, and always mash the potatoes, never purée.

For a heartier meal I like chick pea and chorizo soup with onions, sweet peppers and tomatoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love a homemade mushroom soup, but leek and potato is the classic for me. Sweat the leeks and some garlic in butter, and always mash the potatoes, never purée.

For a heartier meal I like chick pea and chorizo soup with onions, sweet peppers and tomatoes.

Cheers i have chickpeas and chorizo in the fridge. Will have a go at that tomorrow.

I'm not too good with recipes, tend to make stuff up as I go! But a combo of chestnut and portobello mushroom is good, sweat with onion and garlic in butter. Boil in stock then purée and stir some cream in. Other things I've tried into a base mushroom soup recipe:
- a few rehydrated porcini mushrooms (nutty flavour)
- a glug of sherry (sweeter flavour)
- tarragon is a classic herb to use but I like thyme

For hairs on your chest you need Sheeps Head Broth.

Yes it's a real thing my Mum used to make it, it would set into a jelly if allowed to go cold but it was delicious.

aamcle

PS. You can't make good soup without good stock
:eek::nono::nono::nono:

start with tomato juice add a few spoons of marscapone stir till dissolved and a shake of dried basil. - a cheaters alternative to tomato soup :grin:

Beer and Cheddar Soup

2 medium leeks (white and pale green parts only), cut into 1/4-inch dice (2 cups)
2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1 cup)
2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1 cup)
2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
1 Turkish or 1/2 California bay leaf
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups whole milk
1 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (14 fl oz)
1 (12-oz) bottle ale such as Bass
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 lb extra-sharp Cheddar (preferably English; rind removed if necessary), grated (4 cups)
4 bacon slices (3 1/2 oz total), cooked and crumbled

Wash leeks in a bowl of cold water, agitating water, then lift out leeks and drain in a colander.
Cook leeks, carrots, celery, garlic, and bay leaf in butter in a 4-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to moderately low and sprinkle flour over vegetables, then cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Add milk, broth, and beer in a stream, whisking, then simmer, whisking occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, and pepper.
Add cheese by handfuls, stirring constantly, and cook until cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes (do not boil). Discard bay leaf.
Serve sprinkled with bacon.

Back