They've got it taped

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had yards of C90s on shelves for years ... one by one they became unlistenable (tape caught in the drive and stretched, or else the oxide started flaking off the polyester tape). WIth the latter problem, it did not seem to make much difference whether they were bog standard makes, cheap ones or premium brands. But premium ones were less likely to tangle or stretch. I ended up ditching a suitccase full when we moved house - I regret that now :-(
Still have a nice Pioneer cassette deck, too. I have a mate who buys up old ones put on eBay as spares-or-repair and then sells them on. Quite profitable nowadays!

I bought a few Walkmans last summer at boot sales and flogged then for 10x on eBay - funded some of my brewing additions !

Tip: if a cassette has been standing unused for years don't just stick it in a cassette player and expect it to play properly. Fast forward it to the end and rewind back to the beginning. Especially important if the tape hasn't been played to the end the last time.
It helps stop the reels jamming and the tape winding out.

Years ago, under circumstances I cannot recall, I acquired, for free, a 1973 Marantz turntable. It remains the most beautiful, fascinating piece of equipment for those inclined that way, with a sound so beguiling, pure and mellifluous that CD lovers, should they hear it, spend the rest of their days sobbing at their collection of jewel cases and wondering 'why'? Inferior examples of said article very occasionally turn up online for £1500 +....

Vinyl was great but not when SWMBO "tidied up" (yet again) and this time decided that the LP rack and its 20 albums would look better "over there".

"Over there" was a position opposite the hot-air blower that provided the central heating in the lounge and that evening the LP rack became a graveyard of twisted LP's that could never be played again; so I bought a Toshiba two-deck tape player instead!

Happy Days?

Years ago, under circumstances I cannot recall, I acquired, for free, a 1973 Marantz turntable. It remains the most beautiful, fascinating piece of equipment for those inclined that way, with a sound so beguiling, pure and mellifluous that CD lovers, should they hear it, spend the rest of their days sobbing at their collection of jewel cases and wondering 'why'? Inferior examples of said article very occasionally turn up online for £1500 +....
Hi!
Ah! Do I hear the voice of the truly obsessed? :D

PS I can't remember the last time I heard the words "beguiling" and "mellifluous" as I strolled around the quaint leafy lanes and byways of Barnsley.

Latest posts

Back