Things to do whilst self - isolating

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am very careful with my language on that account, as I am very slim, and always have been, and can eat pretty much any quantity of anything! However I fully appreciate and totally respect any severely overweight person trying to do something about it.
I have seen an very overweight lady around where I work over the past year out jogging on and off. She started with nothing more than an uncomfortable amble that vaguely looked like an attempt to jog, she got better and turned it into a slow jog. Over time I could see here losing weight slowly, and becoming more fluid and able. She actually looked happier too. The last time I saw her she was cracking along at a good pace, and still steadily trying. She was doing this by herself as well, no personal trainer or anyone egging her on. It struck me that she was quite probably making a massive change in her life, after what might have been a life-long struggle with weight. I have nothing but complete admiration for her, and others doing the same.

I would love to lose a bit of weight but driving for a living a love of beer, nibbles and sugar in my Tea isn't doing me any favours. :laugh8:

As mentioned I'm still working. However it's interesting to note who is out and about and the volumes. I have noticed an increase in people taking Exercise walks. And by that I mean they are actually doing exactly that. Forgive my blunt language, but there is a significant increase in people who I would stereotypically judge to never normally take any exercise. I'm also seeing parents out with their children who again I would stereotypically judge to not normally do that sort of thing and just leave them to watch TV/play games etc....
I guess to simplify, a lot of people are doing new things? I wonder what the carry-over will be once this passes?

I went out for a bike ride yesterday. The bike lane over Blackfriars bridge and along the Embankment was absolutely heaving. I never seen it so busy (and I've cycled down both hundreds of times as they're only central London is only about 2 miles away from me. It was like national cycle day or something. I cycled on the road instead

I went out for a bike ride yesterday. The bike lane over Blackfriars bridge and along the Embankment was absolutely heaving. I never seen it so busy (and I've cycled down both hundreds of times as they're only central London is only about 2 miles away from me. It was like national cycle day or something. I cycled on the road instead

This is going to be a challenge for the government and police, people probably thought after 3 weeks lockdown would be eased we now have another three and people are getting restless if they announce another three i can see a lot of people starting to ignore the rules.

People are totally fed up whenever i stop now people usually say hello, thanks me for being a key worker and then start to chat about Covid four weeks ago they wouldn't have said the first hello they are desperate for a bit of human interaction especially the old who are lonely, i always pass the time of day as i am a really nice bloke. :laugh8:

This is going to be a challenge for the government and police, people probably thought after 3 weeks lockdown would be eased we now have another three and people are getting restless if they announce another three i can see a lot of people starting to ignore the rules.

People are totally fed up whenever i stop now people usually say hello, thanks me for being a key worker and then start to chat about Covid four weeks ago they wouldn't have said the first hello they are desperate for a bit of human interaction especially the old who are lonely, i always pass the time of day as i am a really nice bloke. :laugh8:

Everyone is bored of lockdown now judging from what I saw yesterday. I took a week off work last week and when I went back today I got reports that all my clients are breaking lockdown as theyre all bored of staying in

Absolutely stupid here.
One neighbour (single "lady") went out Saturday night, dressed to the nines - obviously on a date.
Sunday lunchtime, driving to my allotment, people sitting outside the pub drinking!
Sunday night, neighbour the other side (also a single "lady") had a random bloke round for drinks.
WTF don't these people understand about social distancing???

Everyone is bored of lockdown now judging from what I saw yesterday. I took a week off work last week and when I went back today I got reports that all my clients are breaking lockdown as theyre all bored of staying in

We have some rough times ahead that's for sure.

I am very careful with my language on that account, as I am very slim, and always have been, and can eat pretty much any quantity of anything! However I fully appreciate and totally respect any severely overweight person trying to do something about it.
I have seen an very overweight lady around where I work over the past year out jogging on and off. She started with nothing more than an uncomfortable amble that vaguely looked like an attempt to jog, she got better and turned it into a slow jog. Over time I could see here losing weight slowly, and becoming more fluid and able. She actually looked happier too. The last time I saw her she was cracking along at a good pace, and still steadily trying. She was doing this by herself as well, no personal trainer or anyone egging her on. It struck me that she was quite probably making a massive change in her life, after what might have been a life-long struggle with weight. I have nothing but complete admiration for her, and others doing the same.

Im not. I dont exactly go around calling people a fat b*astard but being overwweight is now normalised and that's dangerous. So many modern diseases that kill people, T2 diabetes, hypertension, heart disease , stroke are all caused by obestiy and are all preventable. Like you I have maximum respect for people that try to do something about it (although fat blokes on racing bikes in lycra alway's amuses me :laugh8: )

I would love to lose a bit of weight but driving for a living a love of beer, nibbles and sugar in my Tea isn't doing me any favours. :laugh8:

Let me introduce you to the world of fasting :laugh8:
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/fasting-to-reset-the-immune-system.86198/
A person burns calories just by being alive and this can be utilised. You can lose weight just by sitting on the sofa watching TV. You can still eat what you like, beer nibbles and sugar. The trick is to ingest less calories than you burn. This is where (intermittent) fasting comes into its own.
Intermittent fasting is not a diet to tell you what you can and cant eat but a tool to restrict calories. It basically works by restricting the time you can eat therefore it restricts the calories you eat because most people can only eat so much in a certain amount of time before they get full. There's a version of intermittent fasting called OMAD (one meal a day) or 23:1 that works because your calories are resticted because of the capacity of your stomach

So using this method of only eating at one time of the day right? Even if I ate til I was ridiculously full, I could still lose weight if I only ate that meal once a day?

So theoretically, how long would it take someone a couple stone over weight to lose a stone?

And you can still drink booze right? Just only at a certain time?

So using this method of only eating at one time of the day right? Even if I ate til I was ridiculously full, I could still lose weight if I only ate that meal once a day?

So theoretically, how long would it take someone a couple stone over weight to lose a stone?

And you can still drink booze right? Just only at a certain time?

Yes. You just eat once per day. You eat all your food within about an hour's space of time. Anything you like ( but of course healthier is better. Also including booze. Im aware of people doing this almost purely on junk food). You eat till your full (People think they can eat a lot on one sitting but they cant. Think of all you eat in a day then imagine eating it all in one sitting) then stop eating.

How fast you lose weight depends on a lot of things. Such as how many calories you expend in a day; how much excersise you do; How fat you are (fat people burn more calories than thin people), how much you eat during your omad (although ideally you dont want to go below 1200kcal) etc

https://www.reddit.com/r/omad/

You eat all your food within about an hour...Also including booze.

To me this is both nuts and also oddly appealing lol.
I mean it’s fairly low effort as far as weight Loss goes isn’t it. Also In an hour if you drank like a bottle and a half of wine you’d be riding that wave for the rest of the evening lol. Then again that would be like half your calorie intake for 24 hours so that’d be kinda dumb.

It seems like an extreme thing to do to me but if you can convince yourself to do it for like even a month I imagine you start to see the effects fairly quickly.

Last edited:
To me this is both nuts and also oddly appealing lol.
I mean it’s fairly low effort as far as weight Loss goes isn’t it. Also In an hour if you drank like a bottle and a half of wine you’d be riding that wave for the rest of the evening lol

It seems like an extreme thing to do to me but if you can convince yourself to do it for like even a month I imagine you start to see the effects fairly quickly.

Short of extended fasting (fasting for more than 24 hours) it's the fastest way to lose weight. Your right it's fairly low effort as you dont have to count calories (your calories are automatically controlled by your stomach capacity) and you can eat what you want, if you want to. The thing about "extreme" is, things are only "extreme" to people who dont do them. There's plenty of things that I would consider extreme but to the people who do them all the time, they're probably fairly mundane. I dont like heights for example. To me, going on the London eye is extreme. But loads of people do it. You only have to look at the queues in summer.
Omad will also restrict your drinking. Liquid is filling so trying to eat lots of food and drink lots of beer is difficult. Theres no way you'd be able to drink a bottle and a half of wine and eat lots too, unless perhaps you were an alcoholic but then you'd just skip ALL the food in preference for the wine :laugh8:

First think poorly knees.
And I reckon it will be like the annual surge in gym membership in January, all but a distant memory come July
I'm a member of a small running club. We run a mixture of on/off road. There are guys in that club who have been running for 40+ years (one is in his mid-eighties) and none of them have poorly knees. Use it or lose it.

Most of them like a good drink too.

Maybe we will all be encouraged to loose weight by only eating one meal a day when food shortages start in earnest.

Getting a bit irked at neighbours both sides who have taken to sunbathing nearly all day, so If I step outside I'm within 6 feet of both of them. Have changed to gardening when the sun goes down/ dark as they're all watching telly by then.
One side has mown the grass 3 times in a week, and painted everything that can be painted, including having a go at several things that shouldn't.
Makes it difficult to grow food as things are needing watering/ planting out.

Latest posts

Back