Things to do whilst self - isolating

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting a bit irked at neighbours both sides who have taken to sunbathing nearly all day, so If I step outside I'm within 6 feet of both of them. Have changed to gardening when the sun goes down/ dark as they're all watching telly by then.

I suggest joining them sunbathing. But sunbathe naked. I'm sure that would resolve the problem :laugh8:

I'm a member of a small running club. We run a mixture of on/off road. There are guys in that club who have been running for 40+ years (one is in his mid-eighties) and none of them have poorly knees. Use it or lose it.

Most of them like a good drink too.
Good to hear, keep at it athumb..
But maybe there are folks who joined you and perhaps fell by the wayside, perhaps with knee issues. I'm sure 'proper' running identifies your body problems sooner or later. I have bad knees through other sports. And as a result it sadly stops me doing stuff.

I taught the better half how to play cribbage yesterday afternoon, that was fun.
She then taught me how to knit. That wasn't fun.

Good to hear, keep at it athumb..
But maybe there are folks who joined you and perhaps fell by the wayside, perhaps with knee issues. I'm sure 'proper' running identifies your body problems sooner or later. I have bad knees through other sports. And as a result it sadly stops me doing stuff.
Pretty much everyone I know who plays tennis or racket sports at any level all have bad knees and hips, it's the hard impact and grinding motion on the joints.

I think possibly if someone hasn't exercised in years and leads a sedentary life, then taking up a sport such as road running when overweight may cause joint issues. However, as with all sports conditioning, building up gradually is the key to success. The body including bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments must be given gradually increasing stress with sufficient recovery. This must take place over a long period (2-3 years rather than 2 months), that way the body responds and adapts rather than resulting in chronic injury. I speak from experience here.

Foxy, although I don't condone you going fishing when you're not supposed to be, I am intrigued by which river you were on? Just realised you're in Oz which would explain the roach/carp mixed bag.
On the banks of that creek I am kilometres from anyone, the fish in there, are Bass, Roach, Carp, Perch, Tench, Galaxias and eels. Eels I try to avoid they grow to about 12 kg same species in New Zealand go to double that.

I dont exactly go around calling people a fat b*astard but being overwweight is now normalised and that's dangerous.
Absolutely right. The "healthy at any weight" thing is stupid and dangerous, and the "body positivity" thing has been twisted to the point where people are being actively discouraged from getting healthier. Nobody should be shamed because of their looks, but encouraging people to be "fat and proud" is idiotic.

Pretty much everyone I know who plays tennis or racket sports at any level all have bad knees and hips, it's the hard impact and grinding motion on the joints.

I think possibly if someone hasn't exercised in years and leads a sedentary life, then taking up a sport such as road running when overweight may cause joint issues. However, as with all sports conditioning, building up gradually is the key to success. The body including bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments must be given gradually increasing stress with sufficient recovery. This must take place over a long period (2-3 years rather than 2 months), that way the body responds and adapts rather than resulting in chronic injury. I speak from experience here.
Good advice for anyone.
I did a spell of pounding the pavements years ago and I have to say it was the most sustained punishing form of exercise I ever did. And that included playing squash.

On the banks of that creek I am kilometres from anyone, the fish in there, are Bass, Roach, Carp, Perch, Tench, Galaxias and eels. Eels I try to avoid they grow to about 12 kg same species in New Zealand go to double that.
12kg Eels! ashock1 You'd get dragged in trying to catch one of them!

Went for a stroll yesterday. Not a soul in sight. No aeroplanes. No distant traffic noise. Bliss.

IMG_20200420_142243988.jpg

I am still working and can honestly say i have never seen so many fat people out jogging
The streets are running with sweat.
I‘m still working too and it takes me longer to get to work because of all the fat people on brand new bikes struggling up hills at 0.4mph.
I also am fat (I have been described as looking like a poorly shaved grizzly bear stuffed into a bizarre assortment of ill fitting clothes) and my “going out for the purposes of exercise” consist of getting in my car and going for a drive with the window open.

So whereabouts in Oz are you? I used to work with your former world champ Dave Wesson. Is Glenn Nicholls still catching them over there?

We’ve been spending the last couple of weekends painting the house. It was a new build (been in just under 2 years) and, whilst most builders paint everything a nice warm magnolia, Taylor Wimpey paint all of their houses white.

We did the living room a fortnight ago, 3 bathrooms/toilets last weekend and our en suite this weekend. We also have the paint for our bedroom but that will be for a couple of weeks time. Will eventually do the kids bedrooms as well. Playroom, spare room, kitchen and utility can be left as is.
52985C8A-16A9-41AF-BB72-C79070E11CC0.jpeg
C4A87B78-0483-4FF0-AA66-BF636588ED43.jpeg
798029E0-C331-4896-B897-75A29357DDCE.jpeg

The streets are running with sweat.
I‘m still working too and it takes me longer to get to work because of all the fat people on brand new bikes struggling up hills at 0.4mph.
I also am fat (I have been described as looking like a poorly shaved grizzly bear stuffed into a bizarre assortment of ill fitting clothes) and my “going out for the purposes of exercise” consist of getting in my car and going for a drive with the window open.

clapa

So whereabouts in Oz are you? I used to work with your former world champ Dave Wesson. Is Glenn Nicholls still catching them over there?
I'm in Melbourne, Glen's a mate of mine, speak to him every week, still cleaning up in the matches, he pipped me in the Australian National Championship. We both got 3 points, a first and second in section over 2 days, lost to him on a weight count back.

When I have been around to his place he has sent me home with beer well past its use by date, and seeds which are the same.:laugh8:

Today went into the city, wife had a doctors appointment there, had a walk around Fitzroy Gardens, and across the road is Treasury Gardens. (Victoria is the Garden State) Fitzroy is 26 hectares, Treasury 5.8 hectares. Photos from Fitzroy Gardens including Captain Cooks cottage,
trees were planted in 1856 Elm, Lime, Oaks plus others I don't recognise apart from some Gums and Morton Bay Fig tree.
001.JPG 002.JPG
003.JPG 004.JPG
005.JPG

Latest posts

Back