Thoughts please - Black IPA recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broadfordbrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm aiming to brew a Northwest Pacific style IPA that happens to be black in colour ;)

Any thoughts on the recipe welcome (be nice please :) )

Maris Otter 76.3%
Munich 14.4%
Crystal 80l 5%
Carafa Type III 4.3%

Magnum 35g 90min
Cascade 20g 20min
Chinook 20g 20min
Cascade 20g 5min
Chinook 20g 5min
Cascade 20g 0min (Steep 20mins)
Chinook 20g 0min (Steep 20mins)

Safale US-05 dried yeast

Expected OG 1068
Expected FG 1017
Expected ABV 6.8%
Expected IBU: 72
Expected SRM: 30

Cheers :thumb:

Looks good to me. What I would do though is double the carafa special III and put it in at the start of the sparge.

You're very Specific about your Pacific... is 30 SRM like 60 EBC? I'll be aiming about 90 EBC to make sure its Fully-Black, but don't let me sway you.

6.8% like an Axe Edge ;)

Jamesb, please stop posting, I'm trying to post! now its looks like I'm copying of your 'increase the carafa' :p

It is. You will get a certain amount of flavour, and a bit isn't bad but to me a BLACK IPA should just be a black colour with no roasty tastes. Otherwise it would just be a cascadian dark ale.

The Kernel ones are my inspiration on this style. other brewers/drinkers may not agree.

Franklin said:
You're very Specific about your Pacific... is 30 SRM like 60 EBC? I'll be aiming about 90 EBC to make sure its Fully-Black, but don't let me sway you.

6.8% like an Axe Edge ;)

Jamesb, please stop posting, I'm trying to post! now its looks like I'm copying of your 'increase the carafa' :p

Ha, yes, just like Axe Edge. I wish I could copy their recipe! I've read that 30 SRM is black but I'm going to double the Carafa III as you both suggest which will make it look like squid Ink ;)

jamesb said:
It is. You will get a certain amount of flavour, and a bit isn't bad but to me a BLACK IPA should just be a black colour with no roasty tastes. Otherwise it would just be a cascadian dark ale.

The Kernel ones are my inspiration on this style. other brewers/drinkers may not agree.

I agree, and I want to achieve minimal roastiness in my BLACK IPA.
Good shout on the Kernel, much preferred theirs over others I've tried. Although I am a fan of Buxton Black Rocks, but don't want any liquorice in my brew this time :)

I think I like an element of roasted flavour, I think it adds to the style.

jamesb said:
Looks good to me. What I would do though is double the carafa special III and put it in at the start of the sparge.
That's a good idea to reduce the roasted flavour. I'm thinking of doing a Schwarzbier soon, so would you recommend the same thing or should the Carafa be mashed?

jamesb said:
I thought cascadian ales were supposed to run the gammut from what you are calling a black IPA to something with a bit of roast flavour. The name also helps to sidestep the inevitable argument about whether one can have a black pale ale. *shrugs* I don't suppose it much matters what you call it.

WelshPaul said:
jamesb said:
That's a good idea to reduce the roasted flavour. I'm thinking of doing a Schwarzbier soon, so would you recommend the same thing or should the Carafa be mashed?

I'd mash it for that.

TheMumbler said:
jamesb said:
I thought cascadian ales were supposed to run the gammut from what you are calling a black IPA to something with a bit of roast flavour. The name also helps to sidestep the inevitable argument about whether one can have a black pale ale. *shrugs* I don't suppose it much matters what you call it.

I know, I know. I just don't think roasty flavours have any place in an IPA. That's more like a hoppy porter.

I know the BCJP have categorised it, but the arguments are still going on worldwide.

I know what you mean but the cascadian thing has always said that it intends to keep any roast flavours subdued. That said most of the commercial ones I have tasted are more towards the roasty end. I'll have to have a go at capping the mash if I do another as I've always wanted to hit something that tastes much more like an IPA that just happens to be black. I do think there is something to be said for avoiding an oxymoron.

I suppose that is the problem with categories, they never please everybody and can end up with people worrying too much about brewing this style or that instead of worrying about brewing the beer that they want to. On the one hand I broadly think that Louis Armstrong had it right about music and that same applies to beer. On the other hand it is helpful to have a common vocabulary and if people want to compete (and plenty do) then you need some means of classifying the beers.

Back