Black IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favourite malt for black ipa is Black Prinz. Very dark but a special variety of barley which has no husk in the first place so no need to de-bitter it. I always just mash in with the rest of the grains, it adds loads of deep colour with a pleasant malty roastyness with zero bitter or astringent taste letting the hops shine through.
Really? That does sound interesting. I know it's a Breiss malt, but where do you get it from?

My favourite malt for black ipa is Black Prinz. Very dark but a special variety of barley which has no husk in the first place so no need to de-bitter it. I always just mash in with the rest of the grains, it adds loads of deep colour with a pleasant malty roastyness with zero bitter or astringent taste letting the hops shine through.
I like blackprinz. To me it tastes like a mild form of roast barley that works well in sweet and oatmeal stout.

Really? That does sound interesting. I know it's a Breiss malt, but where do you get it from?
I believe it was from BrewUK a few years ago. I do like a good Black IPA and much prefer a West Coast style IPA over East Coast (Green Flash West Coast IPA was awesome on draft in maui). Personally I'm over haze for the sake of it. I digress. I read somewhere BIPA can be tricky to balance as Black Malt bitterness can clash with hop bitterness, so when I brewed Brew Dog Jack Hammer from DIY Dog (plus extra Columbus extract) i played it safe by adding Black Prinz to make it close to their Black Hammer. It was good!

Back