tinned peaches and grape juice - how much sugar to add?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WendyAF

Reaction score
Hi

I would like to experiment and make up a batch of wine using 2 X 410g tins of peaches in fruit juice and 750 mls pure pressed Rose Grape juice however I am not sure how much sugar to add. Each tin of peaches has 45 grams of sugar and I would be using a one gallon demi john.

I'd be grateful for any advice on working out the sugar ratios.
Thanks

1100gm is a good guide (total sugar) Therefore 1100-sugar in the grape juice-sugar in the peaches.

I was about to say I go for 1200gm, then realised I just started 2 wines yesterday with only 1000 (plus whatever comes from 250gm sultanas and 2kg carrots)
I think I'll chuck a bit more in!

My rough rule of thumb is:
20gm/l -> 1%

...and a typical demi is about 4.8l and you lose a bit when racking so call it 5,
so %abv = gm sugar /100
So whatever ABV I want, I multiply by 100 and use that much total sugars

I find the safest way is to keep the added sugar on the low side of the estimate, take a reading and then add enough sugar, if required, to bring the sg up to 1090, bearing in mind that fruit will take a while to release its sugar. Tinned peaches have been rated as containing 23% sugar. and the syrup in the tin also contains sugar. The drained weight of 1 kilo of tinned peaches would therefore contain 230 g of sugar, so your 2 tins would contain about 115 g of sugar in the peaches, plus the sugar in the syrup. However, you say each tin contains 45 g sugar, so that's 90 g total. A litre of carton red grape juice contains about 165 g of sugar, so 75 ml about 140 g ., total 210. So about 800g of sugar would be required to make a gallon of dry wine around 12% abv. I suspect that it would be low in acid and tannin, but that's a matter of taste.

Back