Tips/advice on making ale clearer please.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsbee

Reaction score
Hi all,

Brewed my first batch of coopers pale aussie ale, syphoned into bottles straight from vessel with carbonation drops. Only been one day in the bottle thus far but it looks a little cloudy, will this settle or have i missed something?

Brewed for 11 days before bottling at around 23degrees in airing cupboard.

I followed their instructions to a tee mind so maybe thats just the way it is.

Also, whilst i am on - which keg is best. I've seen the type where you just add sugar and the gas cartidge type, which one keeps longer etc?

You must make sure it is crystal clear before you bottle. The easiest way of doing this is leaving it somewhere cold or on a cold concrete floor. The yeast will drop out. The second thing to do is after it has cleared transfere it to a second sterile fermenter trying not disturb any sediment then leave it to clear again for a few days before bottling.

One other point you are best fermenting cooler between 18 - 21c especially at the start of fermentation when it is most active to avoid it fermenting off products namely fusel alcohols which cause hangovers (and taste off) :sick: :sick:

Oh right, thanks for the advice. The instructions didn't mention anything about transferring, waiting few days etc so thats annoying. Will this batch be ok then?

It will clear in the bottle try putting in the fridge. The only problem is that you will have more yeast so you will have to be careful in pouring it. The longer you leave it the more compact and solid the yeast will become in the bottom.

Hope that helps. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back