Too cold outside?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaffa

Reaction score
My Coopers IPA has been in the keg for 4 days or so, its in a plastic keg force carbed, its currently in a cupboard at about 20 degrees, should I move it somewhere cooler, I have a small outside space. Were on the south coast air temp is 10 -18 degress currntly, is this OK or should I keep it inside.

While I'm here I have just ordered a Woodfords Nelsons revenge, some coopers conditioner No 2 some safale s-04 yeast and some spraymalt dark, i also have some plain ols dextrose.

Suggestions greatly recieved as to use the s-04 or the yeast in the kit, and which additive to use?

Thanks again for all the help /Jaff

It depends how cold it gets at night, if you're going to put it outside i'd get a max+min thermometer to see what sort of temp it goes down to overnight.
Nelsons Revenge is a 2 can kit so it doesn't need any extra fermentables, i just make mine as is and then prime with brewing sugar. Got one fermenting at the moment, have always used the kit yeast without any problems but would be interested to hear of other results using diff yeast

I thought you could replace standard dextrose with malt extracts, or is that only 1 can kits?

dextrose is not required in 2 can kits, just the 1 can kits.

I am not an expert, but i would happily leave your brew outside. As it's already carbonated, it just needs to clear and condition. The cold outsde will help it clear, though it might want covering so it's not exposed to direct sunlight.

I repeat, I am not an expert, though!

shearclass said:
dextrose is not required in 2 can kits, just the 1 can kits.

I am not an expert, but i would happily leave your brew outside. As it's already carbonated, it just needs to clear and condition. The cold outsde will help it clear, though it might want covering so it's not exposed to direct sunlight.

I repeat, I am not an expert, though!

Thanks for the reply.

As I understand it the best temp to condition and clear beer is approx 13 Degrees Celsius. (stand to be corrected).

So I think moving outside to your garage or shed would be okay.

I have kept all my brews out in the garage during winter periods over the past couple of years and had no problems.

Just wrap it in an old blanket.

Back