Too long in primary

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gedburg101

Reaction score
Hi,

Do to some admin nightmares my bottles have been delayed and now not going to be delivered until Monday.

The beer has been in primary for 13 days with a big dry hop at 6 days. I'd normally like to bottle on day 10 as I find I end up with a grassy hop character if the beers on the hops much longer...

So, do I wait it out and risk a grassy beer, or do I transfer the beer into a new sanitised secondary fermenter and bottle next week?

I'd say either of those suggestions is acceptable. If you're particularly worried about the grassy flavour then racking is your best bet. I've had dry hops in for two weeks before but I don't think I'm particularly sensitive to that grassy flavour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would rack off, as long as you sterilize the new FV, syphon etc it will be fine. Will also likely clear a bit quicker in the bottles as racked off trub. Do you use a bottling bucket? if so you could rack straight to that bucket and just add priming sugar on bottling day.

Back