Pressure brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've done well to get through that many in such a short space of time šŸ»
Thank you - I am training and giving away about 3/4 of what I make, people appreciate my brew and I get a lot of feedback on what I should improve

In reply to you, Iā€™ve yet to have any kit that Iā€™ve done to be really flavoursome and really want to do again as for the co2/oxygen thing I think we do seem to be completely different, as for the water
Yep, Iā€™m here to correct you šŸ˜‚

Pressure fermenting suppresses yeast esters, but the OP is referring to dry hopping kits and, if anything, pressure fermenting should retain hop flavour/aroma better than ā€œstandardā€ fermenting. It should only give a bland/neutral beer if heā€™s using an estery yeast and fermenting under pressure.

OP - how are you bottling from it? Iā€™ve only ever pressure fermented in conjunction with kegging and closed transfers. Also, you mention adding a tap instead of bottling but havenā€™t mentioned a gas setup, only your spunding valve. Youā€™ll need gas and a regulator to keep the pressure in the fermenter in order to serve from it.
ive have a gas set albeit a small one so can inject co2 back in the fermenter if and when required, I did try bottling one of the previous brews but had a disaster with it so gave up, donā€™t have a keg yet so that why I was going to serve straight from the fermenter šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Iā€™ve always used bottled water so itā€™s possible it could be that
I've never presdure fermented so I cant comment on the orocess. But could the ingredients be at fault? What sort of kits were they - maybe they were rubbish? Or out of date?

As mashbag said, have you treated your water? If everything is turning out tasteless, that could be an issue. Where I used to live (in Cumbria) I barely needed to treat my water, but when I moved here (to Northumberland) my first couple of brews were disappointing until I got a water report and made adjustments

In reply to you, Iā€™ve yet to have any kit that Iā€™ve done to be really flavoursome and really want to do again as for the co2/oxygen thing I think we do seem to be completely different, as for the water

ive have a gas set albeit a small one so can inject co2 back in the fermenter if and when required, I did try bottling one of the previous brews but had a disaster with it so gave up, donā€™t have a keg yet so that why I was going to serve straight from the fermenter šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Iā€™ve always used bottled water so itā€™s possible it could be that

If you use pressure fermentation to achieve full of carbonation for the type of beer your producing, you will need equipment to do that.
I only have experience with the Boel itap and found it does work perfectly. You do need to purchase one with the correct clamp for the type of bottles you use.
I only bottle what I can't get in the corny keg.

I have been pressure fermenting for 2 years now, as I only care for the malt and hops for flavor and not the yeast esters I let it get to 16psi as quickly as possible and keep it there, I dry hop by placing them in the fermenter suspended in a bag by strong magnets which I lower once the ferment has subsided. I don't do kits but the process is much the same once in wort form. the water is probably your biggest problem, there are plenty of guides around once you know your profile, you should be able to obtain that from your water authority, the salts in the water have a big effect on the flavor profile of your ale.

Back