Tooheys Special Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyroboris

Reaction score
Hi All,

Am about to double my brewing output from 5 gallon to 10! hmm I think this brewing bug has got me!

Anyway, one of the brews I'm doing is a Tooheys Special Lager. Was wondering if any of the extract brewers here have had experience of this kit and if there were any recommended tweaks for it? As it stands I was going to go with 1kg dextrose as the wizard in my LHBS thought that using spraymalt might not be as appropriate for a lager. :cheers:

extra light dme is okay at a push, but generally lager kits are made to be very thin and normal DME will add a fair whack of body.

No tweaks from me, but I do know from endless recipe diving that if you want to turn it san miguelish, add golden syrup, bud lightish add rice syrup, and don't use honey because it sucks in lager :thumb:

I wouldn't do 1kg, 50/50 with sugar or something. Anything over a pot would probably be overkill. Beersmith recommends no more than 20% of the sugars in the batch. That's about 450g at 4.6% so use that as a rough guide - higher abv = can get away with more, lower abv = use less!

You need an extra 25% for golden syrup to get the same sugar. 1kg = 1.25kg golden syrup.

Latest posts

Back