Top 5 kits?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyhull

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know that most of you guys are AG brewers but im guessing you all started with a kit at some time!

So, what would you say your top 5 kits would be? giving it points out of 5 for flavour colour and imrovement after storage.
I would like to know to give me an idea of where to go next.

Many thanks

Andy

What sort of beer do you like? Lager or ale? IPA or stout? Also what is your budget per kit?

I like Bitter, Lager and real ales Bombardier being my favourite.

But what i want to know is what you guys brewed, what you think your top 5's are and why, flavour wise (etc) rather than advise me what brew i could do next!

The reason is that hopefully there will be a few that begin to make a more consistant showing in peoples top 5's so that in it's self will speak volumes ;)

Andy

I'm doing AG now but my favourite kits (going by the number I bought) were:

1. Coopers IPA - this was my go-to standard which I would tweak with different hop teas.

2. Woodforde's Wherry - consistently good "out of the box"

3. Coopers Wheat Beer - a little tea added with Coriander and bitter orange peel.

4. Coopers Canadian Blonde - easy drinking and unchallenging for those of my mates who couldnt cope with my really hoppy stuff. No lagering techniques required.

All the others I used, I only tried once, but they were OK: St Peters Ruby, Milestone Black Pearl, Woodforde's Great Eastern, Nog and Nelsons.

woodforde nelsons revenge- cracking ale
coopers stout- one of the best stouts on the market, better than pub bought stouts brewed by any company
coopers pilsner-awesome pilsner if left long enough in the bottle that is! i left for min 6 months and was worth the wait
brewferm grand cru-minimum 6-10 months in the bottle for a lager style belgian beer not a session beer at 8%
brewferm xmas ale-strong dark rich, again minimum 6-10 months in the bottle, gets better if left for a while 7.5%

simple's!

Coopers Original series, Dark Ale and Stout, they're 2 real lovelies, brew a little short with half dex, half muntons dark or extra dark dme, i use highland srping water for those 2, bottled up they always seem to be fine while young, i'm thinking to buy them 2 at a time in future so i can keep a decent rolling stock of these and maybe even let some truly mature, especially the Dark Ale my favorite.

Latest posts

Back