Totally green!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derren

Reaction score
My first attempt ( as indicated earlier) was an AG English pale ale. Followed the instructions to the letter and temperature. It took a while to learn all the new terminology (mash, wort, hot break, flame out etc) but I did it with commitment and conviction and now feel like I can at least sound like I know what I'm talking about!!

Anyway all went well, however after 3 weeks primary, I came to bottle and opened the lid for the first time. Smelt amazing. Beautiful yeast cake at the bottom and all looked good except....

....on the top where I was expecting a krausen all I had was a surface of what looked a bit like white fish food flakes floating on the top. No bad smell, tasted fine but just unsure what it was or if its ok.

As I say I did everything to the letter which in fairness was very easy given the home brewtique instructions and I was meticulous about the sterilisation etc.

The only off roading I did was to cold crash for 3 days before opening ready to bottle.

Is this a case of a little knowledge is dangerous? I had Read that it was a great way to help it clear and that many brewers swore by it everytime?

I'll try and attach a picture for your comments.

Unfortunately at that time I didn't have any gravity readings as being my first kit I didn't have a hydrometer.

I did however use my 3 weeks waiting wisely and made several purchases of equipment ( too much really) so should be OK for the next time round.

Just conscious that I don't want to mess up my first effort!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything sounds spot on, the white stuff is probably the yeast and is OK, cold crashing works very well. Adding a photo look at the task bar of the bit your typing in and you will see a gif of a picture to the left of the video with a + in it press that and goto the pic you want to add or just copy and paste.

Phew that's a relief! Thanks Banbeer.

Don't think my phone will allow me to add the pictures so might need to do that from the laptop

Phew that's a relief! Thanks Banbeer.

Don't think my phone will allow me to add the pictures so might need to do that from the laptop
When you're replying to the thread you've the option to attach files which is to the left of post reply. Use this and it will give you the option for files, gallery etc. Then select or long press the photo if you have several too upload.

Latest posts

Back