Transferring beer and wort.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batlugs

Reaction score
I am recovering from a large hernia repair which has prevented me from any heavy lifting, still managed MJ kits and a neighbour did all the lifting.

If I’m to continue this brewing lark into retirement then i need an automated system to raise the liquid from floor to worktop.

Your suggestions and or pics are greatly appreciated. I bought a chugger on impulse but doesn’t appear suitable (maybe in the marketplace later).

Cheers in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you could add in a list of what you currently use and what layout/space you have it will give folks a starting point for ideas for you.

If you could add in a list of what you currently use and what layout/space you have it will give folks a starting point for ideas for you.

The brewshed used to house the motorbike so it’s an odd shape. About 2.4m long and 1.7m wide, worktop down the left with two brew fridges under. The right side holds 8 cornies leaving a narrow walkway, a maxi chiller and various whole grain stocks under the worktop.

I brew with a GF outside the shed under a canopy as space is so limited. I syphon from the worktop to the floor lifting the FV’s to the worktop.

Looking for some system that can lift the liquid from the brewfridge/floor to the worktop.

Instead of syphoning out, which requires the destination to be at a lower level, can you pump out with the GF? Like this lady does with the Ace system. Fast forward to about 15:50.

As @foxbat suggests transfer using the pump on the GF simply by placing your FV on the counter and attach a suitable hose.
I mash in a cooler usually situated on a stool and use a mini pump 5v pump to transfer to my boiler which is above on the worktop.
When transfer is complete just mind to pinch the hose from the GF side a rase above the FV to let the wort out otherwise you'll have a sticky mess.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if the GF pump is strong enough on it's own to pump up over 5ft for a sustained period, well worth trying though.

I'm not sure if the GF pump is strong enough on it's own to pump up over 5ft for a sustained period, well worth trying though.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm! might try it...lol.
mind I managed one handed bucket fv into a chest freezer the other day..after my weetibix of course...after a hernia and the scars from bust appendix I should of waited for @BeardedMag to help...typical Brian.
bri

Install some hooks in the roof above where you need to do the lifting and attach some pulleys.
I do BIAB and use a single pulley wheel for lifting the grain bag. That just means It's the same weight but I'm pulling down rather than lifting up which is much easier. Obviously in your situation you'd need more wheels, but even a single wheel on the roof and a single wheel fixed to your FV would halve the weight. More wheels even less weight.

Ta Brian, great suggestion. Could be ideal as I have limited space.

Great shout Brian, found a better option on Amazon (just ordered it).

Progen Hydraulic Scissor Jack, perfect size for the limited space I have. Comes with lockable castors and will get from brew cabinet height to worktop. Also had an Amazon voucher to cash, great for price of £78.

Thanks to all for your input specially Bri.

Cheers

IMG_0520.JPG

No more busted nuts! Takes a little time but just what I needed, thanks Brian.

Cheers.

Yep, just as described in my second post. Makes good beer though.

Back