Tropical WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottE75

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've posted due to some disillusion with brewing, but I'm over it and brewing again. I think I've cracked it. I've tried loads of different yeasts and I think I've found a winner. So many yeasts turned my wine into a volcano of foam, but I started using Young's Dessert/high alcohol yeast and it is not foaming much at all, just a cap.

I recently made a tropical wine which turned out really nice. I used Gervin GV4, which is supposed to be "low foam" but it's not .

2 litres tropical juice
1 litre of orange and apple each
1 tsp pectolase
1 tsp nutrient
1/2 tsp tannin
1/4 tsp epsom salts
1 kg sugar

OG 1.125
EG 1.000
ABV 16% approx
Cost per bottle £1.63

Racked and bottled last night. I got 5 bottles with enough to have a small glass as a taster because I avoid adding water as I don't want to dilute it.

A really tasty wine!

I use Young's super wine yeast compound and have never had much trouble with volcanic fermentation, I only fill my DJ's to the begining of the shoulder just in case.

I'd agree with you about Young's yeast. IME it's reliable and trouble-free.

It's also pretty tolerant of those higher alcohol levels. I've currently got a 23l beetroot wine which I've 'fortified' with mixed sultanas, currents, raisins and a couple of hands of bananas. (I know it sounds a bit of a nightmare but I've done something similar before and that turned out fine, so here's hoping).

It was put on last Tuesday and by day 3 the SG was dropping 30 points in 24 hrs. It's now reached 1.010 and is still bubbling away well. I started with an SG of 1.110 but added 2 extra lots of sugar at days 3 & 5, which should give me a final alcohol level of just over 18%.

In case anyone was wondering, it's intended for keeping as a dessert-style wine :-)

Latest posts

Back